Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-29-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Sharon,
Thanks so much. Do you think my local sewing machine repairman can convert it, and is it an expensive thing to do?
There's a converter you can use, or you can replace the motor. The original motors sometimes come up on Ebay, or someone may know where to get one. On some machines, the motor is easy to replace--not sure about FW because of light fixture--Billy, does it have to be rewired?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
You can't leave you guys in the shop too long, not even a day. You guys come up with the most interesting things to show off. Bo, that is a pretty FW. I haven't see Mz Johnny for a couple days around here. Is she diggin around in her orphan stock and looking for something else to work off of? Purple, are you going to show pics of the Cenntenial FW? Now, all you guys hang tight in the shop and keep your eyes out for Mz Johnny. Have fun.
Miz Johnny has been trying to clean house, but is not having much luck. I am housekeeping impaired.
I made yet another trip to northern Kentucky to rummage through the basement of a guy who is sick of selling machine stuff off ebay, and came home with a few machines (5 nice Made-in-Japan class 15 machines), a few lights, and some new old stock bases. I met up with Robin (whom I met on this board) and her husband, and my friend Pam and her husband. A good time was had by all--and we all came home with "stuff".
It took me a couple of days to clean the stuff up enough to come in the house, but I was greatly entertained by a tag on one of the machines. The machines had come from a closed repair shop, and the repair tag stated the work done--including a new motor and wiring--and the cost, a little over $30. There was another tag dated a year later stapled over that that read "Do not release. Storage fee $14) The original tag was dated 1972. The case was in rough shape, but the machine was in beautiful condition. My van smelled like a musty basement for a few days, though.
More than you wanted to know, but my sewing machine diet is going about as well as my other diet. I seem to be gaining both ways.

Miz Johnny in far too phat Kentucky
We missed you in the shop and glad to have you home, sound like a good dig.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:35 PM

Thanks all...I certainly do not need motor mayhem! I have a little controlled mayhem here anyway. I've just totally dismantled my 1909 Singer treadle for cleaning and refurbishing per Billy's tutorial. It looks pretty sad and "undressed" with all the parts laid out on the table. But it came apart easily, exactly the way Billy described! (Thank you!) Tomorrow we're off to the kerosene spa! I can't wait to see how it looks when it's all cleaned up.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:38 PM

I also notice that Darcene never sticks her head in the shop with something smelling good anymore. She must be on a diet and just too busy playing with all her toys. Just don't have time for the VSR. We miss you Darcene. We hope all is well with you.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Deara
Nancy, she is a beauty.
What is her name?
She's a 'he' and I call him Peter after the guy that kept him for so long for his mother!

The wood on this cabinet is in mint condition and the machine is also in great shape. I too had never seen a cabinet like this one.
This machine will stay with me till the end!

Nancy
Nancy, That is a beautiful machine and the cabinet is gorgeous- a piece of art.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:22 PM

I saw the most interesting long arm today. I went to look at a table top quilting frame. She was selling the table top frame because she now had this long arm. She said it was actually a Singer that had been cut and stretched. I think it had at least an 18 inch throat. Whoever did it did a good job because I could not seen any welds at all. It looked like a 99 I think. It was definitely an older Singer machine. I should have taken a picture, but I did not even think about it at the time. The carriage and frame was pretty standard, although I think it was also home built. I googled a little but did not come up with anything similar. Has anyone seen or heard of such a thing? It was facinating.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:41 AM

Where do you find the serial number on a 306k?
Old 10-30-2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by JaneK
Sharon,
Thanks so much. Do you think my local sewing machine repairman can convert it, and is it an expensive thing to do?
I would make very sure that your local repairman knows what he is doing, before you let him at your machine. This could happen if he doesn't know.

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...tormayhem.html
That is the most disgusting thing I have heard of!

Nancy
Old 10-30-2010, 07:18 AM

It was suggested that I post this at the Machine Shop. I hope I've come to the right place. I found this machine on craigslist. The ad does not tell me anything about the machine. I have left a message for the owner but have not heard back, yet. Can you tell me the model of this from the picture. I want an old electric singer for free motion quilting. I thought if I knew the model then I could find some info on-line before driving to another town. Thanks, Debbie
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Attachment-115597.doc (37.0 KB, 93 views)
Old 10-30-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Miz Johnny has been trying to clean house, but is not having much luck. I am housekeeping impaired.
I made yet another trip to northern Kentucky to rummage through the basement of a guy who is sick of selling machine stuff off ebay, and came home with a few machines (5 nice Made-in-Japan class 15 machines), a few lights, and some new old stock bases. I met up with Robin (whom I met on this board) and her husband, and my friend Pam and her husband. A good time was had by all--and we all came home with "stuff".

More than you wanted to know, but my sewing machine diet is going about as well as my other diet. I seem to be gaining both ways.
Miz Johnny I figured you were out finding more 'toys.' Congratulations on your new machines and 'stuff.'

Yes, I agree my WW9 is in one of the best conditions, both machine and cabinet, that I have ever seen. I think, when the dear friend of the owner's mother passed away, the mother did not use the machine much.

Nancy