Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Debbie B
I love that Rocketeer...beautiful. I think I have the third one down from the top. It's my husband's great grandmother's. The cabinet & the treadle fell apart when they took it up from his mom's basement after his mom died several years ago. It's in my guest room. From the serial I looked up on the Singer site it says that it was made in 1894. The machine was used a lot and the decals are worn in some areas, but it's still pretty. I've never know what to do with it. I put a picture below. Your machines are just as gorgeous as I thought that they would be...hope you post the pictures of the other ones soon. Thanks.
Debbie
That is a nice 27 and I have always loved that decal pattern(Tiffany Gingerbread)! It is one you do not see on the 27's that much.

The machine you looking at is a Singer 9W that was made after Issac Singer purchased Wheeler and Wilson in 1905. The first batch of these were made from the left over parts they had when the D9 was in production and this one here was an actual Singer casting that a few dimensions were changed so that they could fit the Singer cabinets. I have my eyes on a drawing room cabinet at a antique store here in town and when the seller comes off of the price a bit more I am going to get it and put this machine into it. This is one of the nicest 9W's I have seen and it deserves the best cabinet I can find!

Billy
Old 11-01-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I think I might be wrong about shortening the shaft of the 15-91 I am going to have to buy one so I can take it apart and see if I can convert it. According to the schematic I can take the shaft end off and then find one from a 27,66,15 and put it on the shaft. But I am not sure of the shaft diameter yet. So lets hold off on the swap to a treadle until I have some facts in front of me.

Billy
I have seen a potted 201 converted. All that was done is remove the motor and motor housing and replace the bobbin winder with a Japanese class 15 donor. I vaguely remember hearing that the potted 201 machines were made 2 different ways, so some could have a motorectomy and work, and some could not. I just cant remember why!!
Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Lostn51
I think I might be wrong about shortening the shaft of the 15-91 I am going to have to buy one so I can take it apart and see if I can convert it. According to the schematic I can take the shaft end off and then find one from a 27,66,15 and put it on the shaft. But I am not sure of the shaft diameter yet. So lets hold off on the swap to a treadle until I have some facts in front of me.

Billy
I have seen a potted 201 converted. All that was done is remove the motor and motor housing and replace the bobbin winder with a Japanese class 15 donor. I vaguely remember hearing that the potted 201 machines were made 2 different ways, so some could have a motorectomy and work, and some could not. I just cant remember why!!
Okay, I think I'm starting to understand. Somehow the internal motor must be removed to make the machine function as a treadle. Is that what is done? ...because I still don't understand how a 15-91 or a 201-2, the pot-belly motor machines, can be converted to treadle use.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:55 PM

I know this is probably completely wrong to do, but was wondering if you can take a treadle and make it electric? Not that I'm planning to do that, but all the talk of taking an electric to treadle...I just wondered.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie B
I know this is probably completely wrong to do, but was wondering if you can take a treadle and make it electric? Not that I'm planning to do that, but all the talk of taking an electric to treadle...I just wondered.
That very thing was done frequently.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:06 PM

Ya and now we take the electric off and put on the Treadle, And sometimes we hold the elecric motor on the machine and leave it there but turn it back to the Treadle, that way you can use the motor if you want to. :wink: :wink: But usually want to use the Treadle for the machine.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

My signature says it all........ :-D

Billy
Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 PM

Hi Billy, I need your help. (don't we all). Need a thread guide for my 201, the one just below the needle clamp. If I am reading the manual right there are two thread guides on this model. Could that be right ? Do you have any in your stock. If so I would like to order one, pretty please.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:02 PM

FW in Great Britain Have a different electric current so you have to have a converter box to transform it to US current. I bought one from London that's how I know.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Howard
Hi Billy, I need your help. (don't we all). Need a thread guide for my 201, the one just below the needle clamp. If I am reading the manual right there are two thread guides on this model. Could that be right ? Do you have any in your stock. If so I would like to order one, pretty please.
I know the one your talking about and I dont have it. I wish I had some of them because when you take the needle clamp off it comes out and easily lost. Also it is no fun putting it back in.

Billy