Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 667 of 4398 FirstFirst ... 167 567 617 657 666 667 668 677 717 767 1167 1667 ... LastLast
Results 6,661 to 6,670 of 43977

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #6661
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    I was at quilt show today. A vendor selling Singer FWs had a White that looked like my mother's 1956 model for $60. When I asked him if it worked, he said he thought so, but he hadn't spent much time on it. I detected some distain because it wasn't a Singer, but the Singers were out of my price range. Is it worth $60 if it sews well?

    The only thing I hesitate about is you can't drop the feed for quilting. That's the only complaint I have with my 1974 Elna Supermatic. I can drop the feed on my old Kenmore, but that machine's tension is a nightmare.

    Should I go back and look at the White tomorrow?

  2. #6662
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,580
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    tp://orangecounty.craigslist.org/atq/2037785421.html

    I have several of these, but I guarantee you I didn't pay that much for any of mine!! I also have some different styles, including one mounted on a box and this double one (well, it's sort of mine!) about half way down the page:

    http://needlebar.org/main~nb/boye/index.html

    I have to say it's "sort of mine" because I bought it, but sent it home with Bill Grewe because he's The Boye Guy and I have no hope whatsoever of finding space for it in my house!!
    Wow, that is a "neat" looking needle display! Miz Johnny you should post pictures of some of the different styles of these needle cases! Geeze, this forum is educational!

    Nancy

  3. #6663
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,580
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I was at quilt show today. A vendor selling Singer FWs had a White that looked like my mother's 1956 model for $60. When I asked him if it worked, he said he thought so, but he hadn't spent much time on it. I detected some distain because it wasn't a Singer, but the Singers were out of my price range. Is it worth $60 if it sews well?

    The only thing I hesitate about is you can't drop the feed for quilting. That's the only complaint I have with my 1974 Elna Supermatic. I can drop the feed on my old Kenmore, but that machine's tension is a nightmare.

    Should I go back and look at the White tomorrow?
    I have a White Rotary Electric from 1931 that has a beautiful stitich. Other than my machine, I know nothing about the Whites.

    Also, have you checked Hospice, Thrift Stores, estate/yard sales. I just bought a Singer 503A at a barn sale for $10 - had to order the cams on e-bay, another $10 - that I am in love with. I have a machine I paid $7,000 for 6 years ago that I fight with constantly. It is very tempermental about thread, bobbins, and if I have a needle with a tiny shard from hitting a pin -- forget it, it will skip stitches. I got the Rocketeer (503a) out yesterday to finish some machine applique' I was fighting with, with my expensive machine; and I just sat and sewed a beautiful border on all my applique' pieces. No fighting with the machine -- no skipped stitches -- didn't have to adjust tension -- the thing just sewed perfect satin scallop stitches with a cam!

    Nancy

  4. #6664
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,580
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend

    You just got a very perty FW! The case looks really good too for being one of the oldest FW's! They were made between 1933/34 and 1969 I believe!

    Congratulations!

    Nancy

    The oldest FW case has a blueish green lining. I'd love to have the type of case that has the top tray, more storage for things. Very pretty FW!!!
    Yes, I have a 1934 that has the case with the top tray. I didn't know the newer ones didn't have the top tray until I bought my 1953 machine the other day!

    Nancy

  5. #6665
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,700
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I was at quilt show today. A vendor selling Singer FWs had a White that looked like my mother's 1956 model for $60. When I asked him if it worked, he said he thought so, but he hadn't spent much time on it. I detected some distain because it wasn't a Singer, but the Singers were out of my price range. Is it worth $60 if it sews well?

    The only thing I hesitate about is you can't drop the feed for quilting. That's the only complaint I have with my 1974 Elna Supermatic. I can drop the feed on my old Kenmore, but that machine's tension is a nightmare.

    Should I go back and look at the White tomorrow?
    I have a White Rotary Electric from 1931 that has a beautiful stitich. Other than my machine, I know nothing about the Whites.

    Also, have you checked Hospice, Thrift Stores, estate/yard sales. I just bought a Singer 503A at a barn sale for $10 - had to order the cams on e-bay, another $10 - that I am in love with. I have a machine I paid $7,000 for 6 years ago that I fight with constantly. It is very tempermental about thread, bobbins, and if I have a needle with a tiny shard from hitting a pin -- forget it, it will skip stitches. I got the Rocketeer (503a) out yesterday to finish some machine applique' I was fighting with, with my expensive machine; and I just sat and sewed a beautiful border on all my applique' pieces. No fighting with the machine -- no skipped stitches -- didn't have to adjust tension -- the thing just sewed perfect satin scallop stitches with a cam!

    Nancy
    That is the same one I got at the thrift store this week. Wow, does it sew nice. But I have to spend way more than you did, it cost me 12.95, It has the cabinet. and 8.00 + shipping for the cams.. LOL. I had pictures in Vintage machine on Wed.

  6. #6666
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,580
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight

    That is the same one I got at the thrift store this week. Wow, does it sew nice. But I have to spend way more than you did, it cost me 12.95, It has the cabinet. and 8.00 + shipping for the cams.. LOL. I had pictures in Vintage machine on Wed.
    Featherweight, I am confused? What machine did you post on Wednesday, November 10? I didn't see a Rocketeer posted here? I would love to see your machine.

    My Rocketeer also had a cabinet when we picked her up at the barn sale. My DH promptly dismantled the cabinet and we burned it with some brush! Mine is a portable now! That cabinet was in very bad shape -- besides I don't have room for another cabinet -- I have too many treadles!

    Nancy

  7. #6667
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,700
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight

    That is the same one I got at the thrift store this week. Wow, does it sew nice. But I have to spend way more than you did, it cost me 12.95, It has the cabinet. and 8.00 + shipping for the cams.. LOL. I had pictures in Vintage machine on Wed.
    Featherweight, I am confused? What machine did you post on Wednesday, November 10? I didn't see a Rocketeer posted here? I would love to see your machine.

    My Rocketeer also had a cabinet when we picked her up at the barn sale. My DH promptly dismantled the cabinet and we burned it with some brush! Mine is a portable now! That cabinet was in very bad shape -- besides I don't have room for another cabinet -- I have too many treadles!

    Nancy
    Here is Rockys Picture:

    I didn't have much polishing at all.
    Name:  Attachment-125867.jpe
Views: 84
Size:  38.6 KB

    I have covered all scratches in cabinet
    Name:  Attachment-125870.jpe
Views: 81
Size:  38.5 KB

  8. #6668
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,580
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight

    Here is Rockys Picture:
    Wow! That could be my picture! My little "Rockette" looks exactly like your "Rocky." We even paid almost the same, but my cabinet was in very bad shape and smaller. It is so funny, these machines were only made from 1960 to 1962 yet they reflect that era so well. The cabinet feet -- mine had the same 1960's look with the little brass type feet. I got the same set of cams and feet. I just won 3 more cams and an original instruction manual on e-bay for $8.50 + shipping. These machines are so great because they are NOT computers! I love my fancy computer sewing machine, but it is so sensitive because of the computer that runs it -- ! These old machines couldn't tell if the upper thread and bobbin thread were different weights, if the needle had a tiny nick, if the bobbin was a little off -- they just sewed and sewed through anything!

    Nancy

  9. #6669
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    Billy, are you sure you're reducing your stock? I was just on Craigs List. A seller in Ludington has a pair of dirty black Singers in a garage. One has a cabinet, one is very ornate and one has a medallion, I think. No price listed. I'd hardly know what to offer him.

  10. #6670
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    Billy, are you sure you're reducing your stock? I was just on Craigslist. A seller in Ludington has a pair of dirty black Singers in a garage. One has a cabinet, one is very ornate and one has a medallion, I think. No price listed. I'd hardly know what to offer him.
    Traverse City has a Singer 6233 for $75. Does the feed drop on that one?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.