Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-28-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Here is a photo of the table topper log cabin wreath that I finished yesterday. The piecing was done on Mr. Two Spools treadle, the straight-stitch quilting on 201 treadle, and the decorative stitch from the Janome T-30 for finishing the binding. I discovered while piecing with the Two Spools that the moment the needle and foot no longer had any fabric under it the top thread would cut off (like having an auto-thread cutter), but as long as I kept feeding the piecing through the machine all worked well. One of my favorite parts of this machine is its 1/4 inch foot.
Now I'm working on project three, all Christmas gifts to my family that live far away.
Vintagemotif you are quite talented! I am using my 15-88 to machine quilt stitch in the ditch, but I haven't yet ventured into piecing with a treadle! Pretty amazing that you just whip them out like that! The wreath is very pretty. Does your family - the ones you are sewing for -- realize you do this on a treadle?

Nancy
Old 11-28-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I pieced,free motion quilted and sewed the binding with my Singer 237 treadle(zig zag). Its a great machine for FMQ.
Sharon W. in Texas
Sharon you are another of the very talented people on this forum! Very pretty quilt -- and another example of one of the very talented people who can use their treadles! I will be there some day!

Nancy
Old 11-28-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I pieced,free motion quilted and sewed the binding with my Singer 237 treadle(zig zag). Its a great machine for FMQ.
Sharon W. in Texas
Sharon you are another of the very talented people on this forum! Very pretty quilt -- and another example of one of the very talented people who can use their treadles! I will be there some day!

Nancy
Thank you very much Nancy! I've been treadling since 2007 and am a member of Treadle On. We use our machines and do several block exchanges yearly.
Sharon W.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:27 PM

Thanks everyone for your sympathy for Missy...she was part chihuahua/daschund. Loved to ride in cars, no matter how short or far you're going! If she saw me walking with a purse or keys..she would try to beat me to the door.
On the other note...i hope i can make a cabin log as nice as one just featured!
Old 11-28-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Sharon W. in Texas

Nancy
Thank you very much Nancy! I've been treadling since 2007 and am a member of Treadle On. We use our machines and do several block exchanges yearly.
Sharon W.
Sharon,
I have read through some of your posts just to look at your work. From your posts, I have learned some interesting things. Something so simple as the bobbin thread can be used on the top. I'm presently quilting the next project; I wanted to use red thread on top and white on bottom, but my remaining red was on a bobbin. I had never thought of setting the bobbin on top until seeing one of your posts ( it was a duh moment for me). My favorite of your tips and tricks is the headlamp over your machine for lighting. It is wonderful to find other quilters who do use their treadles and I just love this site. Sharon, I love that pinwheel quilt that you made; the fabric goes well together.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:52 PM

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Vintagemotif you are quite talented! I am using my 15-88 to machine quilt stitch in the ditch, but I haven't yet ventured into piecing with a treadle! Pretty amazing that you just whip them out like that! The wreath is very pretty. Does your family - the ones you are sewing for -- realize you do this on a treadle?

Nancy
Nancy,
My work isn't perfect. In fact, I no longer worry about the points always matching up precisely. My feeling is life isn't always perfect; so, why should a quilt, since a quilt is like a representation of life. In my opinion, quilts are in need of those imperfections for them to come to life (hope that makes sense). So, that is why I'm not afraid to use the treadles to piece and quilt with. Plus, our grandmas used these machines to make clothes and bedding. If they could do it, than we can too.

And yes, my family knows that I now have the treadle bug and use my machines to make quilts. That is why I'm making their gifts this years with my machines.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:05 PM

so sorry about your doggie. It seems to that alot of us have old sewing machines and old dogs. We had to put our 21 year old chiuhuahua/terrier mix to sleep today. Sandy actually belonged to my MIL/FIL and outlived both of them. He's been failing for a while, but really went downhill fast. Had to wait till the kids both left to return to school. But i think they knew it was inevitable. Been crying all day, it's so hard to make that decision. I think I will get out one of my old machines and sew a little, that always helps!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:12 PM

JaneK....so sorry for your loss. They're just like another child that u have been caring for so long and they're part of your family.. working on a project may help pass the time also. Bless ya !
Old 11-28-2010, 02:14 PM

JaneK,

Sorry to hear about your dog too.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:23 PM

yes our pets are like babies to us. I had a cat for 17 years and when she passed our house was too quiet. Then a couple of years later I got a puppy from the pound. My husband started having strokes. They had not bonded so we got a second dog from the pound. I was hoping it would keep him up and moving about. Now when you see one, you see all three. It is so funny until bedtime. Who ever goes to bed first get to pick their spot. One baby weights 6 lbs, the other weights 12.We wouldn't trade them now for anything.