Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

It looks like a Singer cabinet. Did you measure distance between hinges?
Miz Johnny,

The distance between the hinges is 9 3\4" .
Old 12-05-2010, 07:05 AM

That W&W in the cabinet is gorgeous, but a tad out of my price range! That cabinet was lovingly preserved or restored. The machine looks a little corroded. But Wow, what a find!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Billy I am so glad to hear that you believe in oiling too! I was almost afraid to state how often I oil -- in reality I oil my machines quite often -- I thought maybe I was overdoing it! Nice to hear I am not!

Nancy
If it's all over your fabric, you've oiled too much. Other than that, think of how happy your machine is with all that oil.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Check out this 1864 Wheeler and Wilson machine and cabinet! And the price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1864-Wheeler-and...item27adba2885

Nancy
It's a very rare cabinet, the machine is in beautiful condition and has incredible decals. Just beautiful.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Darcene
Darcene what a haul! Were they all from the same auction?

Nancy
Yes, all from the same auction and the same lot...I bought 7 of the 12 machines in the lot....the others just weren't anything that I wanted.....some of these will end up going to other homes...I am seriously running out of room for all of the strays that I can't resist bringing home with me....[/quote]

I am working on emptying out my basement so all these millions of machines can go down there. I have thrown out the furniture and put the fabric in storage. It will take a while, but I will have a dungeon full of machines sometime in the next millennium.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Darcene

It looks like a Singer cabinet. Did you measure distance between hinges?
Miz Johnny,

The distance between the hinges is 9 3\4" .
That's the Singer hinge measurement. Clean it up and pop a machine in. Since the top is flat, you can use it as a serving table, table behind your couch, entryway, etc. There's LOT'S of ways to hide these puppies!! When my mom died, I couldn't figure out what to do with a machine of hers--the cabinet was the most beautiful I've ever seen. My SIL said it matched her dining room furniture, and she took it back to Chicago to use as a sideboard!!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by J Carol
I sure would enjoy a place just for vintage machines. Since my husband has come home from the very long stay in the hospital I have purchased 3 of them! The first one arrived in five piecers due to being dropped in shipping. It was a beautiful old hand crank "Harris" but the crank end of the machine is what was broken in pieces. Then I got a Singer with the Sphinx on it but it is not so clean and doesn't work as the electrical is in rally bad condition. Then I purchased a White and it also really needs a good cleaning but the wireing is in horrible condition. Now my question is if I will ever be able to sew on these as I am really leary of the wiring or is there a way to re-wire them? Also Billy do you have a web site?
They all can be fixed I am sure, I bet it would not take much. It is not hard to rewire them and they should all be put back in service with a little effort. If you want I could do it for you if your leery of working on them.

And I have not set up a web site yet and probably will never set one up. Although my wife wants me to do it, I come from the school of your actions speak loader than words. Thats why I never advertise and let word of mouth bring in my business.

Billy
Old 12-05-2010, 08:21 AM

[quote=Miz Johnny][quote=Darcene]

That's the Singer hinge measurement. Clean it up and pop a machine in. Since the top is flat, you can use it as a serving table, table behind your couch, entryway, etc. There's LOT'S of ways to hide these puppies!! When my mom died, I couldn't figure out what to do with a machine of hers--the cabinet was the most beautiful I've ever seen. My SIL said it matched her dining room furniture, and she took it back to Chicago to use as a sideboard!!
Thank you Miz Johnny,

I know just the machine to go into it....It is so pretty and it really doesn't look like a sewing machine cabinet...I know just where to put it....so many machines, so little room....oh well, furniture is really overrated.....
Old 12-05-2010, 09:45 AM

Hi Billy, Your wife (Valerie ?) probably wants you to set up a website because she knows better than anyone how much talent you have and how much wonderful information you have to share! God Bless that woman !! Lest I forget, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY .
Old 12-05-2010, 11:52 AM

No one should be hesitant to send Billy their machine for service. He does an AWESOME job and not only is he very knowledgable, competent and honest, he is extremely reasonable in what he charges.