Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy,
Thanks for posting pictures and your dealings with getting this machine working. I'm learning lots from your posts. That cabinet is beautiful! I can just picture how gorgeous it would look fully refinished. Your husband did a very nice job on the treadle too!
Thank you Vintagemotif! My DH likes to work on the old treadles and cabinets. He just doesn't understand the sewing machine parts! Actually, for being at least 120 years old, Betty looks pretty good! I have you to thank for even finding Betty!

Nancy
Old 12-05-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Oh here is picture of 'Betty.'

....................... Nancy
Duh!!
I just got your name for your machine -Betty Davis.
Too clever!

Cindy
LOL!!!! Yes, she is named after Betty Davis! I thought that would be a given! Don't you think the name fits?

I didn't even have to think to come up with that name he he he he he he he he he he!

Nancy
Old 12-05-2010, 11:53 PM

Nancy,
Betty looks dang good for 120 years! I do hope you get her working because from what I read vertical feed machines are wonderful for bindings and working with flannels.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

Vintagemotif, what you working on in the avatar? The colors are gorgeous.
Thank you, it is a table topper.
I'm using up my scraps, the leftovers of the leftover Christmas fabrics. I made different columns using strips of scraps and then cut triangles from the columns. Sewed the triangles together to from a star. I'm making it up as I go along.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-138974.jpe  
Old 12-06-2010, 05:50 AM

Very pretty I really like what you did. Did you sew the pieces together then cut the triangle. Maybe that's what you said but I am still new to making quilts.
Trish
Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 AM

Thank you, it is a table topper.
I'm using up my scraps, the leftovers of the leftover Christmas fabrics. I made different columns using strips of scraps and then cut triangles from the columns. Sewed the triangles together to from a star. I'm making it up as I go along.
Vintagemotif, that table topper is gorgeous! Did you piece and machine quilt the whole thing on your treadle? Is it a gift, or are you going to keep this one!

Nancy
Old 12-06-2010, 06:42 AM

Nancy,
Betty looks dang good for 120 years! I do hope you get her working because from what I read vertical feed machines are wonderful for bindings and working with flannels.
Yes, I have heard that Vertical Feed Machines are great for putting on bindings. I am pretty sure the problem right now is 'operator error' as the machine wants to sew. It moves freely, but won't pick up the shuttle thread. I ordered a manual yesterday to find out exactly how to insert the needle. I used the manual I printed out for the Davis New High Arm Vertical Feed and inserted the needle the way that machine says to do. It seems like the needle is in right, but I am not sure? Also the shuttle fits really nicely but, not sure it is the original one?

I won't get a lot of time to play with Betty until after Christmas. I am trying to finish and bind three quilts for grandkids. One is done, one is on my Long Arm, one is ready for the long arm, one is still being pieced! Yikes! I am starting to panic!

Nancy
Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

I won't get a lot of time to play with Betty until after Christmas. I am trying to finish and bind three quilts for grandkids. One is done, one is on my Long Arm, one is ready for the long arm, one is still being pieced! Yikes! I am starting to panic!

Nancy
I would love to see those quilts. If you don't wish to post on this thread, then use picutres thread, and I will look for them there.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Very pretty I really like what you did. Did you sew the pieces together then cut the triangle. Maybe that's what you said but I am still new to making quilts.
Trish
Thank you, I sewed the pieces or strips together first and then used my triangle ruler to cut out the triangles. I then pieced them together with the white triangles to form the star. All the piecing was done on Mr. Two Spools (he gallops along) and the straight line quilting and attaching the binding was done on the 201(she purrs). A decorative stitch from the Janome TB-30 was used to finish off the binding since I don't like to hand stitch.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 AM

[quote=BoJangles]

Vintagemotif, that table topper is gorgeous! Did you piece and machine quilt the whole thing on your treadle? Is it a gift, or are you going to keep this one!

Nancy
Nancy, I keep rotating them on my dinning room table trying to figure out which family member is going to get which quilt. I'm enjoying them, but I'm now having a hard time deciding who is going to get what quilt. Yes, I will be keeping one. I may have my husband pick that one.