Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-05-2011, 08:21 AM

Trish another thing I just thought of, when you said your machine ran smoothly did you try actually sewing with fabric and thread? My Davis VF runs very smoothly, looks like it would sew perfectly when you turn the wheel without any thread or fabric. With thread and fabric it turns freely, feeds the fabric nicely, but won't pick up the shuttle thread and actually sew.

Nancy
Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer

They are great companions, they have the lifespans of dogs & cats (with proper care), they don't get fur anywhere (scales are another story), and they are healthy eaters (fruits & veggies & live bugs). One of our girls, you can find asleep on daddy's shoulder 1/2 the time.
My granddaughters have two bearded dragons they have had for pets for several years now. One of the dragons is really sweet the other one is kind of grouchy. They love them both.

Nancy
Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Banned

Those Dragons are really rockin'!!! I would love to have one their colors are so vivid and dang they get big!!! I bet my Poms would not know how to act with one of them running around the house!!! :lol:

Billy
Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 AM

Does anyone have a Singer 128?
Do you like it?
Is it as "small" as it appears in pictures? (I know it's not light!)
Does it use a shuttle?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Those Dragons are really rockin'!!! I would love to have one their colors are so vivid and dang they get big!!! I bet my Poms would not know how to act with one of them running around the house!!! :lol:
My cousin (the one I help learn to craft to battle her depression) has a sweet Maltese... Katie is about 5 pounds... of course she comes to help us quilt, she has to test all the fabrics for cozy-ness :) Crash loves her, we have her kissing Crash on video, its hilarious because he kissed her back!
Here's the still shot of the "kiss"
If I am able to do the first photoquilt of Psycho's face, I may try to make this pic into a quilt, too
Attached Thumbnails attachment-153874.jpe  
Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Does anyone have a Singer 128?
Do you like it?
Is it as "small" as it appears in pictures? (I know it's not light!)
Does it use a shuttle?
from what I understand, that is the 3/4 version of my 27 (or the 127's) - it is only a few inches shorter in width. The book that I have for the 127/128 shows they both use shuttles. Book doesn't say how much the 128 weighs, tho... my users manual says that the 127/128 have the locking stitch, as well as an ejector for the shuttles. Billy may know if those are the big improvements to those models?
Old 01-05-2011, 11:13 AM

When I was picking up my Standard treadle I saw a Wheeler & Wilson treadle that caught my eye for a couple reasons. The spool holder is an inverted u shape in the middle of the machine, also the pressed wood detail on the top, which is in great shape considering the age. The warranty from when the machine was originally bought is there and dated 1895.
And it works. No manual though, which I usually like to have to refer to in my old age. Any thoughts pro or con would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Ok, I've jumped in with both feet now. Sorry to hear someone is thinking of throwing out a 27 with no cabinet - have you approached quilting stores to see if they'd like it for decor?

I went to look at a 27 in a cabinet this morning and she stole my heart. (she's a 1904 model) I figured she'd be in a barn and covered with, well, you know, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Although she comes without a history, because this fellow bought her with the intent to restore her, she was a prize.

The machine itself, is a sphinx model. The decal is in remarkable shape with only a little bit of wear on the front left corner. She's dust, and grimy, but otherwise workable. She has no belt (treadle) right now, but with turning the handwheel, it turns smoothly. She needs the front bobbin plate.
At first he said there was not a shuttle or bobbin with the purchase, but when we opened the drawers there was a shuttle and 3 bobbins in a baggie - in pristine condition!
The cabinet is the 4 drawer type, it has a small missing piece of wood/veneer at the back left attachment hinge, and the front left corner of the front "flap" part that holds her up. The front drawer that goes in the middle front, is there, but the right corner piece is missing - but it is of simple enough design that any woodworker ( or me) could easily make a mirror image from the left one.
So, after talking with the gentleman for a while, I couldn't leave her there, and for $60, she came home with me.
Does anyone know what wood the cabinets are made from? I'd love to find some to match and stain it to match.
Billy - I'll be contacting you about the belt(and clip) and the front bobbin plate!
I am a happy camper today. Can't wait to rearrange furniture to find her a place!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 PM

Ok, I did it, I pulled it out of the box and played with it a little. I test ran it with no thread and it worked fine and smooth for a couple stitches but I need to oil it before I really test it. It's a 1939 FW 221-1 that I inherited from my great-aunt. I also think the belt might need to be replaced - it looks tired. The cord is perfect and I can't believe I waited so long but I'm looking forward to testing and seeing how we do together.

Jill's FW
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154030[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-154025.jpe  
Old 01-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Jill, she is sew pretty. Get her oiled and cleaned. I know you two will be very happy together.