Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 PM

There's a Singer 99 that appears to sew beautifully for $175 on ebay right now. Nice looking machine! It ends in a few hours. It'll be interesting to see what the last minute bidding brings.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
There's a Singer 99 that appears to sew beautifully for $175 on ebay right now. Nice looking machine! It ends in a few hours. It'll be interesting to see what the last minute bidding brings.
I had a beautiful one, Centennial, in very nice bentwood case, original manual, all attachments, electrics in perfect condition, decals in excellent condition. I had a hard time getting $50 out of it.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Interesting to scroll through and see that some machines go for so much when there were FW machines that had no bids at all - one was listed for $9.99. I guess I need to start looking on ebay more often...
Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 PM

The featherweight listed for $9.99 had a shipping quote of over $300. Not such a bargain!!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
The featherweight listed for $9.99 had a shipping quote of over $300. Not such a bargain!!
I actually emailed the seller about that cause I thought it had to be a mistake, they said they listed it that way so they wouldn't have to pay ebay $40.00 cut.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 PM

That's fee avoidance and totally against ebay policy. They could get their ebay account banned for that. I don't agree with ebay's fees but the problem with fee avoidance is that the buyer is only protected for the bid amount, not usually the shipping.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by bourvel
I was referred to your topic, as I know you go for antique sewing machines, I have a nephew in California who wants to sell a 1914 threadle Singer, it's in top condition with attachements and a certificate. do you have any idea of the value
Thanks
Where in California? I have bought 9 treadles now and the most I have ever paid is $90 and that was for a rare, pristine 1887 Wheeler & Wilson from Portugal. I have a beautiful Redeye I paid $65 for and an 1889 Model 28 in a Parlor cabinet I paid $65 for the rest were $50 and under. You see them advertized all the time on Craigslist for $150 and more, but they don't sell. All of my machines were advertized for $150 or more, when they didn't sell I got them much cheaper. If he really wants to sell the machine, he should start around $100. He might get that?

Good luck,

Nancy

Thanks for your reply, the sewing machine is in Upland. I just e-mailed him with your reply and I'll get back to you when I get an answer.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Does anyone else go to this site to check out what has sold on ebay? I love looking at this site from time to time, lots of different machines to look at.

vintage machines
non-Singer:
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/sewi...inger-machines

Singer:
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/sewi...sort=completed

Some machines go for under $100 and then other go for big bucks.

Singer 201K sold for $491.56 http://cgi.ebay.com/150540997057
Singer RedEye sold for $305. http://cgi.ebay.com/160523065332
Child's treadle sold for $654.99 http://cgi.ebay.com/150539571253
Wow! I love it! I didn't know about this site!

Nancy
Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by irishrose
I had a beautiful one, Centennial, in very nice bentwood case, original manual, all attachments, electrics in perfect condition, decals in excellent condition. I had a hard time getting $50 out of it.
I've got a beautiful 99 I paid $15 (I think that is what I paid) for on page 394!

Nancy
Old 01-08-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
Bojangles, I have a Damasus made by Montgomery Ward that looks a lot like your Davis VF. Mine was made about 1926, do you suppose it would FMQ? It needs a lot of cleaning, but don't have time right now. Thanks, Bobbie
Grannysewer are you sure it is a vertical feed? I didn't know anyone but Davis had a vertical feed? I am going to have to look up Damascus, but I didn't think it was a vertical feed machine? If it is a vertical feed with no feed dogs then yes, you can free motion quilt. If it is a vibrating shuttle with regular feed dogs, no, unless, the feed dogs drop.

The unique thing about my Davis is that is has no feed dogs to move the fabric. The fabric is moved forward by the foot which works as a hopping foot like a free motion foot and it also feeds the fabric forward.

Please post a picture for us!

Nancy