Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-08-2011, 05:14 PM

I don't mind FW repaints, especially for machines that are cosmetically damaged anyway, but the hearts and purple just look gaudy to me, beneath the dignity of the FW. To each his own, but that price is a joke. If I ever have my FW with deep gouges in the bed pain redone, I'd be really ticked if the job was sloppy.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:33 PM

Billy,

It's Christmas at my house today. My husband brought home a Singer Treadle serial number AB755746. I did some research and I think it is a 1927, but i don't know what model it is. Can you tell by the serial number? It is nice and clean at least on the outside. The needle moves up and down and the treadle moves. I'm so excited.

Any info you can help me with will be helpful. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by suzieQ
O.K. GUYS INEED HELP I HAVE3 SINGERS NEED INFORMATION THEM I HAD IT BUT GREAT GREAT GRANDS MUST OF GOT HOLD OF IT I WOUOLD LIKE all the info. you can get singer ah605701 / singer301a#na438590 /singer / ah295101 thanks so much suzieQ
SuzieQ;

The 2 Ah serial numbers were made in Elizabeth, NJ. AH 295101 is a Model 66, born on Oct 27, 1947, and 25000 were made that day. AH605701 is also a model 66, born on Apr 29, 1948, and 2500 were made that day. Couldn't find any info on the other machine. Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phyllis b
Billy,

It's Christmas at my house today. My husband brought home a Singer Treadle serial number AB755746. I did some research and I think it is a 1927, but i don't know what model it is. Can you tell by the serial number? It is nice and clean at least on the outside. The needle moves up and down and the treadle moves. I'm so excited.

Any info you can help me with will be helpful. Thank you in advance.
You have a model 66 with just 50000 of them allotted on July 28 1927!!

Billy
Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Thank you for responding so quickly. I will find and read the tutorial for cleaning etc. This is my first treadle. I have a 301, 401 and 501 that I have collected in the last year. I can hardly wait to learn how to sew with it so I can make my first treadle quilt.

Phyllis
Old 01-08-2011, 10:13 PM

I actually have spent time with my machines this weekend! My 15-88 had been giving me fits before Christmas; a generally lousy stitch. I finally replaced the tension spring and put in a new bobbin case. The tensioner still seems a bit off to me, but the stitch is good. Then I decided it was time to try free-motion quilting. I worked at it a while and came to the conclusion that I will never live long enough to learn to do it well, so whatever quilts I make will have to either be straight-line quilted or sent out. That was a good decision for me, as I really am not all that excited about that part of sewing anyway.
I moved on to my Davis VF and FINALLY finished my GD's baby quilt. (She's 6 months old--at the rate I was going, she'd outgrow it before I got it done.) I still need to bind it, but then I can cross that one off my list. It's not the prettiest job in the world, but done trumps perfect, so that's that.
I was amazed once again at the Davis. Every time I use it, I wonder why I wait so long between times to get back to it! It's just a great machine.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:02 AM

To those of you who use treadles....if you were looking for a treadle cabinet only, what flaws would you look for in the metal base other than making sure the treadle moves? ( I'm assuming rust can be treated successfully.). And... 1. Are they common or scarce in your area? And 2. what's a ballpark figure for one in average condition?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
To those of you who use treadles....if you were looking for a treadle cabinet only, what flaws would you look for in the metal base other than making sure the treadle moves? ( I'm assuming rust can be treated successfully.). And... 1. Are they common or scarce in your area? And 2. what's a ballpark figure for one in average condition?
Make sure that there are no cracks in the pedal or anywhere else along the frame. Also that the pitman rod is there, it is attached to the pedal and not bent or broken.
The last treadle cabinet I bought cost me $100 and it wasn't complete, but it is now. It was missing the hinge pins for the machine and also the drip pan(my son made one for me).
They seem to be rather hard to find for a decent price, most people think if its old; it must be worth a fortune.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156411.jpe  
Old 01-09-2011, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Make sure that there are no cracks in the pedal or anywhere else along the frame. Also that the pitman rod is there, it is attached to the pedal and not bent or broken.
The last treadle cabinet I bought cost me $100 and it wasn't complete, but it is now. It was missing the hinge pins for the machine and also the drip pan(my son made one for me).
They seem to be rather hard to find for a decent price, most people think if its old; it must be worth a fortune.
Thanks so much for the info! Yours is a beaut! If only I get so lucky. Did you find it in Round Rock?

PS: I also loved seeing the handsome dog in the background!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
This looks very much like my nephew's singer sewing machine is wants to sell. It's a 1914 machine with attachements and also a authenticity certificate. It's in great condition and so is the cabinet. He's asking 200$ and has no buyer. If the cabinet is worth 100$, I figure it's not too much for the whole thing around 200$.
What do you think?