Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-16-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Randa

I think I can't resist at least calling on the 15 tomorrow & then figure out how to explain to hubby that I am getting a 3rd sewing machine - and another old one at that! (my "current" 2 are a Singer Featherweight & a 403).

Oh, really??? Explaining number three is a problem??? Uh, try explaining number nine (which I still haven't done!!) and then we'll talk! LOL! I'm hoping my newest old machine is a 99..it looks like the one pictured, but not sure....I'll be letting you see it tomorrow!
Ladies, no need to explain. There is no explanation to what just "is". I have around 150, and my husband doesn't challenge. (He'd like to, but I'm one mean broad, and he wouldn't dare.) In return, I'm all for him playing tennis and poker whenever he darn well feels like it. We like to see each other happy.
I'm waiting for him to come home right now and help me unload a new shelf so I can get some of these puppies up off the floor and free up some space.[/quote]

That's my kind of girl, Miz Johnny, those boys only go as far as you let them. They have have toys and game to play with so why can't we girls have a vintage lady or two, or three or so on.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

The Free takes a standard needle, and if I could get it for $100, I'd grab it and run.

I have a very nice Free treadle. Unfortunately, it's in my daughter's room, and by the time she's done knocking the knobs off and pouring nail polish on it it won't be worth saving. I have sewn on it, and sews great.
Thank you Miz Johnny, I just might have to "grab it and run" now that I got your approval. The machine looks really nice, but I am hesitant because I just today bought another FW. A white one this time 1964 in absolutely great shape! I just couldn't pass the little thing up! I now have 3 FW's, but this is my first white one. I want the FW's to give eventually to my granddaughters that sew!

I am sure interested in the Free treadle too, though, for me of course!
Nancy
Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 PM

Randa, would you please tell me what page your Davis is on in this shop? I want to look at your machine and compare it to my Davis VF and I can't find the picture.

Nancy

Originally Posted by pennijanine
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I am amazed at the educational value of this thread. I don't know how to put in links, but there is a beautiful Davis Vertical Feed on Craigslist in Modesto CA listing. I though someone might like to check it out.
PenniJanine I just called to make arrangements to see this machine!
Well I hope you buy her and stop off at my house on your way home! LOL
Stockton, off 99
Where do you live?
Pennijanine, Sorry that I couldn't make it to Stockton to show off this alluring lady, just a bit too north for my quick trip. Thanks for posting to check it out. I did get this machine!

I did purchase the Davis NVF machine for $50, as well as numerous attachments: Davis, Singer, and National or Free (?). (Man, was that a fast trip, I had a family gathering today.) The machine needs a good cleaning! Lots of rust spots. The cabinet needs some repairs, and the treadle could use a good cleaning too. So, the story goes like this. The seller's son gave her this machine as a gift. He had found it at an antique shop for $50. He knew she wanted a machine like the one she had learned to sew on, old VS Singer, and made her wedding dress with. Her mom still owns the machine but her sister has claimed that machine even though the sister doesn't sew (time for a deal if you ask me). Well, this isn't the machine (VS yes, Singer no). Since it needs more work than she is willing to do, she put it up for sale. All she wants is a Singer VS treadle like the one her mom owns. And all I want is to play with this machine. Way cool looking and I hope it works! Now the eclectic attachments are another prize. Some are for this machine, others for Singer machines, and another set for what may work on my Free machine or possibly my Two Spools. The serial number is 2746650.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162077.jpe  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:42 PM

I did purchase the Davis NVF machine The serial number is 2746650.
Rust, rust, and more rust to clean!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162094[/ATTACH]

I have the piece of wood that is missing in front.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162095[/ATTACH]

Hinge area that needs work.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162096[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162089.jpe   attachment-162090.jpe   attachment-162091.jpe  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM

Photos of attachments:

Singer attachments
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162091[/ATTACH]

Maybe National or another Davis attachments?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162092[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162085.jpe   attachment-162086.jpe   attachment-162087.jpe  
Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 PM

Photos of attachments:
Vintagemotif I am so jealous! What a steal! That VF is going to be so nice -- you will be able to use regular needles -- no need to pay premium prices for extinct needles like I have to do!

Congratulations! I would of bought that machine in a heart beat! What a good price too! The machine will really look good once you get it cleaned up -- it is already really pretty!

You go girl!

Nancy
Old 01-16-2011, 09:10 PM

Photos of attachments:
See that little button above your tension disk? I bet if you try sewing and push that button your machine goes in reverse! Trish just told me that! Unfortunately, my Davis is older than either Trish's or Randa's so my VF does not have that reverse feature -- I think both of theirs do go in reverse! So will yours! You are so lucky!
Nancy
Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Congratulations! I would of bought that machine in a heart beat! What a good price too! The machine will really look good once you get it cleaned up -- it is already really pretty!

You go girl!

Nancy
Thank you. I printed up the instruction manual from the net, and I'm now reading it. It could be that the quilting attachment goes with this machine. Trying to study how the attachments will work. This looks like a fun machine to play with! I do hope it works.