Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-17-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Nancy it may be VF. I really do not know. I would really like to see a pic of shuttle in the race as I said I am not sure if I am getting in right. But thank you Glenn
I had a lot of problems with the shuttle in my Davis. It only goes in one way if it is the right shuttle.

Trish posted pictures of her Davis shuttle. Trish do you remember which page those pictures are on?

Does your Pathfinder have feed dogs? If not, it is a vertical feed, which means the foot will walk the fabric along.

Nancy
Old 01-17-2011, 07:52 PM

Nancy, It has feed dogs and the shuttle says davis. So it must not be a VF. Thanks Glenn
Old 01-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
This is for the Bernina lovers. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/2165501803.html

Don't ask me why I'm on CL today looking. Day schedule is finished, dinner dishes are all cleaned up, and before I brought in the Davis NVF machine head from the cold garage to start cleaning it in my warm kitchen, I just had to take a peek. Now Miz Johnny, don't tell me you have one of these.
I have NEVER found a Bernina I could afford. If I ever do, though--its mine!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:49 PM

You just keep surprising us! You say you don't finish things, but look at you? Cutting fabric all day for a retreat! Are you taking a hand crank? I thought you said once that you have taken a treadle before?

I love red/black/white quilts! Do you need an excuse to go to the quilt shop?

Have fun at your retreat this weekend!

Nancy
I love red, black, and white quilts too! I'm sure she doesn't need to go to a fabric store to find more fabrics for this quilt.[/quote]

Who said I was going to finish it? I started a Cathedral Window quilt about 1980. It's still in the "nearly done" stage. I haven't even begun to put the signature blocks together from my son's wedding. (I think they married in 2003.)
I have plenty of black/white/red prints, but am short on sky fabrics for a "Delectable Mountain". I might have to break down and buy some for it. (And yes, I truly do have a storage unit about half full of fabric. And linens. And one giant industrial treadle.)
Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 PM

My 1952 128 has a bentwood case. I just saw one on ebay for $9.99, but I don't think it had a case. No, I wasn't looking for another machine, but accessories for my 'new' 301A. Poor little girl came with nothing but the presser foot that you'd expect. It was very well packed. I am intrigued by the 1/4" foot with a guide as sewing 1/4" and straight is my biggest problem. I need more than one bobbin, too.

Question - Is the longer fold out piece the only difference in the 301 long bed or is the harp space longer, too? BTW, mine was born in 1956. She doesn't have a name yet. The one I'm thinking of has no rhyme or reason.

Right now I have the bobbin out and can't get it back in. I'm sure it's okay. I'm just out of practice on those bobbin locations. I think I sewed on this machine in high school so I will have no trouble. It feels very familiar.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
My 1952 128 has a bentwood case. .

I have a 1941 128 in a bentwood case. And don't 201s come in bentwoods, too?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 AM

This Ad is intriguing me. If I post this link right, take a look at the treadle cabinet and see if anyone recognizes the style of it. I am sure it's not a Singer but .... . I wonder if there is a machine inside of it? http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ253358153
Old 01-18-2011, 06:26 AM

Randa, Congrats on your 15-91. You should take that cloth off and replace it with a fabric that has a quilting or sewing machine pattern to it. Find some pretty beads that will fit on a safety pin and use that decorative safety pin to hold the new fabric in place.
Just make sure to put a liner under the batting you use. something like flexible template plastic or something like it.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Nancy, It has feed dogs and the shuttle says davis. So it must not be a VF. Thanks Glenn
Well Glenn if your shuttle says Davis you should be good to go!

No it is not a vertical feed if it has feed dogs. I tried to find a free manual on line for the Pathfinder, but didn't come up with anything for that machine.

Maybe, someone else has a manual or knows where you can get one for the Pathfinder?

Nancy
Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Who said I was going to finish it? I started a Cathedral Window quilt about 1980. It's still in the "nearly done" stage. I haven't even begun to put the signature blocks together from my son's wedding. (I think they married in 2003.)
I have plenty of black/white/red prints, but am short on sky fabrics for a "Delectable Mountain". I might have to break down and buy some for it. (And yes, I truly do have a storage unit about half full of fabric. And linens. And one giant industrial treadle.)
You remind me of one of my girl friends! LOL! She loves buying fabric! She also has a cargo storage unit half full of fabric in boxes - so she doesn't even know what she has - which means she gets to buy more!

I did a Delectable Mountain guilt for my DB and SIL, but I used such bright fabrics that it ended up looking more like Chinese Lanterns floating in the sky when I was done.

You didn't answer the question on what machine you are taking to retreat?

Nancy