Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-20-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
I am anxiously waiting for a cleaned up pic!! I bet she will SHINE.
Still working on it. I had a DUH moment the other night when I realized that I could use the fine grade (#0000) steel wool to remove rust and those burrs/rust spots that just don't want to come off. Here are some photos of before and after. Billy would have them even cleaner, but he is the pro while I'm the amateur.

Before clean up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164746[/ATTACH]

before cleaning
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164747[/ATTACH]

after cleaning
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164748[/ATTACH]

after cleaning
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164749[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-164741.jpe   attachment-164742.jpe   attachment-164743.jpe   attachment-164744.jpe  
Old 01-20-2011, 07:59 PM

That looks AWESOME!!! I like the little rectangular 'thingy' where it says "Use this length needle"
Old 01-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
That looks AWESOME!!! I like the little rectangular 'thingy' where it says "Use this length needle"
Thanks! This is a fun project.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 PM

I posted earlier about my ebay purchase. My 301A arrived in perfect condition. She was just in a cardboard box, but very well packed with heavy duty bubble wrap and package tape.

I'm sorry about the white FW. She must have been a beauty.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Morse is a good machine and I would get it if it is a fair price. Then again most thrift stores have excellent deals!! YOu really cvan not go wrong with that machine.

Billy
Am I insane to be lusting over this Morse machine when I haven't even checked it out past the "oh, look what I found" stage? I have 2 working Janomes, and just bought a Singer 27 treadle two weeks ago. This could get out of hand!!
Also, if I can get the machine without the beat up cabinet, is there a portable case it will fit in?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by pennijanine
I am anxiously waiting for a cleaned up pic!! I bet she will SHINE.
Still working on it. I had a DUH moment the other night when I realized that I could use the fine grade (#0000) steel wool to remove rust and those burrs/rust spots that just don't want to come off. Here are some photos of before and after. Billy would have them even cleaner, but he is the pro while I'm the amateur.

Her decals are so perty! Can't wait to see them shine too. Good job so far!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Lovely! Did you use Billy's kerosene method to begin with?
Old 01-21-2011, 03:23 AM

I've had the face plate off numerus times, but left it upright so that seems to be okay. And it works like a charm. My machine was not rusty but caked with old oil/grease. It cleaned up so well! The chrome is worn off the wheel, but that's okay. I didn't use kerosene cuz it's too cold here to go to the garage, but spring is only 60 days away :-P !!! I plan on taking over a corner to work on these machines! Another thing I haven't told the hubby! My tension is very very tight so need to work on that yet, but my thread us just going around the outer part the the tension spring and the stitches are perfect. I'll bet after the oiling last night, this will help the tension. I'm sure enjoying her.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Re the poor white FW that arrived in such a state. I was under the impression that the motor for these was actually black originally, and sprayed to put it on the white ones. Am I wrong in that assumption? My white FW has a few tiny chips on its motor, and it appears to be black underneath.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:01 AM

So sad about the FW. I've gotten a black one and a white one off ebay, and fortunately both were packed well and came in great shape. I am waiting for delivery of a 99 that should be here today. I hold my breath each time, hopeing they come safe. I absolutely LOVE my FW's. Every time someone see's me using it, they are very impressed with them. I am going to have to tear the 201 apart this summer, my DH cleaned it up and oiled it, but when I sew with it, there is an odor that I think is old grease. Just don't have the room to do it and it is to darned cold for the garage.