Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-28-2011, 09:55 AM

[quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Have another question. What do I use to get cigarette smoke out of/off of a vintage wood cabinet? I do have another cabinet that my machine will fit it.. .if I can get the 66 out of it, without cutting the electric cord.
Just switch the cabinets.
Why should you cut the electrical cord?
The electric cord runs through a very small grommet in the side plate of the cabinet. It's a captive cord. Also, I just noticed that the kneelever/footpedal apparatus is totally different between the 20's 66 and the 40's 15-91. Hum.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Wow... just wow. How do you dust them all? Maybe we should start a 'vintage sew machine horders' club? Billy and you can be honorary lifetime members, I should think. Oh wait... I guess that's what this thread is for, isn't it?! :D
Not quite sure how to respond to this message? Not sure if I should feel offended or not? Billy's business is sewing machines. Miz Johnny is quite a collector too, you can see a lot of her machines on her webshots page!

But, yes we love all our vintage machines, and like most collectors can't wait to find more!

Nancy
No, no! Not meant to offend, more as a joke for us all/at us all. A lot of us either already have a lot of machines, or we're in the "process" of having a lot of machines. Others on this thread have mentioned that this love of these old machines is a 'sickness'... I just had to laugh in agreement. For whatever we call it, I have it to! I apologize if what I typed seemed offensive, it was not meant that way. I'll try to be more careful in the future...
Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 AM

[quote=kwendt]

Have another question. What do I use to get cigarette smoke out of/off of a vintage wood cabinet? I do have another cabinet that my machine will fit it.. .if I can get the 66 out of it, without cutting the electric cord.
Just switch the cabinets.
Why should you cut the electrical cord?
The electric cord runs through a very small grommet in the side plate of the cabinet. It's a captive cord. Also, I just noticed that the kneelever/footpedal apparatus is totally different between the 20's 66 and the 40's 15-91. Hum.
Billy should be able to help direct you with what could be done. I toss all my motors; so, I can't help ya.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 AM

Beet juice! I'm going to have to try this on a wheel of mine that has some rust. Healthier to use than the chemical stuff. Thanks!
I also heard that the soda "coke" will eat rust away, but that might also eat the chrome away!

Nancy
Oh my granddad used to use Coke to take the rust off bike handlebars... but then he said that Coke changed the formula of the soda back awhile ago and it no longer works.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:26 AM

Billy should be able to help direct you with what could be done. I toss all my motors; so, I can't help ya.
I love the look of treadles, don't know how to use one. One day, I'll want a treadle, once I can convince my hubby about putting it in the Living room. lol... but that will take a while. Meantime, I have my electrics upstairs in my sew room, taking up as little space as possible.

I just remembered that Dunster (I think) posted a refinish tute somewhere on here. I'll go a-searching for it. I'm going to hope the varnish prevented the tar from soaking into the porous wood underneath. I'll give it a shot. First I'll try OXY cotton balls on one spot. I don't care if it strips it (since the finish is dead anyways) and maybe I can get enough tar gunk off of it...
Old 01-28-2011, 11:08 AM

There is a beautiful parlor cabinet with a so so Singer in it in the Wichita, KS area. Here is the link so you can drool over the cabinet. No, I'm not going to see or buy it. They are pretty proud of it, lol.
http://wichita.craigslist.org/atq/2184727371.html
Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Ah! - those cabinets are gorgeous!!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
There is a beautiful parlor cabinet with a so so Singer in it in the Wichita, KS area. Here is the link so you can drool over the cabinet. No, I'm not going to see or buy it. They are pretty proud of it, lol.
http://wichita.craigslist.org/atq/2184727371.html
I've never seen a cabinet like this one. Wow! I'd say they like it. That's quite a lot of money!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:45 PM

Can anyone tell me about my new to me machine I picked up today? Singer #AA142835.

Thanks so much.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Beet juice! I'm going to have to try this on a wheel of mine that has some rust. Healthier to use than the chemical stuff. Thanks!
I also heard that the soda "coke" will eat rust away, but that might also eat the chrome away!

Nancy
Oh my granddad used to use Coke to take the rust off bike handlebars... but then he said that Coke changed the formula of the soda back awhile ago and it no longer works.
We inherited an old cast iron dutch oven that was so rusty I thought we'd probably have to junk it but decided to try the coke soak. We put the dutch oven and lid in a large granite kettle and covered it with straight coke (think it took 6 2 litre bottles) and let it soak for about 3-4 days and all the rust was gone when we took it out. Dutch oven was a little pitted but not bad and that was prob from the rust not the coke. That's my only experience with coke.