Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 110 of 168 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 109 110 111 120 160 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1676

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

powder blue Montgomery Ward Signature UHT-J276, made by Happy
    Name:  413091d1368398965-img_1792.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  1.29 MBName:  413092d1368398989-img_1790.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  1.10 MB

I got a machine given to me this past weekend in a trade for a treadle cabinet. This Kenmore is very close to my mom's old machine, the one I learned how to sew on.
    ~G~
    Name:  IMG_9575.JPG
Views: 534
Size:  762.0 KB

MadCow333,
    My Mom had one of these machines, fortunately I never had any problems with when I used it. When she was in the hospital; I used her machine to make a large zippered bag that I quilted on her machine, it didn't complain or give me tension issues. She was in a coma from a brain aneurysm that burst. It was either sew or keep on crying, so I sewed into the wee hours. I was hand quilting a queen size Card Tricks quilt, I would sit at her bedside and quilt; the large bag was to hold the quilt.
    Sharon
    Last edited by purplefiend; 05-13-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    They must be running a museum or something...
    I am sure they think if its an old machine it must be worth a fortune(rolling eyes).
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    Awesome score! I'm sure it was a child that scratched the cabinet, the little darlings.
    The Salvation Army store near me, always over prices sewing machines, they all start at $100 for the portables and $200 + if its in a cabinet no matter condition of said cabinet.
    Sharon
    I have noticed that depending on where you live, prices can vary quite a bit. New York prices seem to be 2 to 3 times what they are in Chicago. At least on Craig's List. Near me, the Goodwill sells machines in cases for $20 and in a cabinet they are $50. They reduce the prices from time to time on them as they sit. It is their way to move stale merchandise. I know someone that recently got a nice Kenmore in a cabinet for $4.99 at a Goodwill near Chicago.
    ~G~

Can anyone tell me about this machine? A friend bought it about 20 years ago in an antique store in Boulder City, NV. He gave it to me when he moved to Hawaii several years ago. I love the look of it but am thinking of selling it. I would appreciate it if anyone knows anything about it... Thx!Name:  sewing 3.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  163.3 KBName:  sewing 2.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  150.6 KBName:  sewing 1.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  153.0 KB

Sharon, I have often wondered what stories these machines could tell, if they were people. Some of the ones I have bought have been literally worn out, like the old Singer 15-91 knee-bar portable that i bought in WV. I didn't think it possible to wear out a Singer, but that one was one of the earliest and I think it must have been run 24/7. The motor was toast, but the entire mechanism of that machine had so much slop and play in it that it started to clank again 5 minutes after I oiled it. Then, there were some gorgeous Singer 201 machines that didn't have a scratch on their paint, because they'd never been used, but they were so rusted and siezed from dis-use that it took a lot of effort to get them running again.

Here's another machine from my family, that's still in the family. My mother has it. A 3/4 size clone of a Singer 15, probably Morse Debutante, badged "Gimbels Special." The instruction manual says Debutante. The motor has a Morse nameplate. Gimbels was a department store chain, and this machine most likely was purchased at the Pittsburgh store.

It's probably a postwar '40s or early '50s machine. The hardware is chrome plated. The tension control and the scrolled faceplate and backplate, the bare metal lamp, and the chrome rim on the handwheel are prewar fashion.
    Will the REAL 15 clone please stand up

Mire pics:
    http://s889.photobucket.com/user/sad...bels_Debutante

Do you have any idea what year the yellow brother is? My friend just bought one and we haven't been able to find out any thing about it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    I have noticed that depending on where you live, prices can vary quite a bit. New York prices seem to be 2 to 3 times what they are in Chicago. At least on Craig's List. Near me, the Goodwill sells machines in cases for $20 and in a cabinet they are $50. They reduce the prices from time to time on them as they sit. It is their way to move stale merchandise. I know someone that recently got a nice Kenmore in a cabinet for $4.99 at a Goodwill near Chicago.
    ~G~
    Yes I also have notice that-alot depends on the area and also I have found in certain areas they think everything is old so it worth a penny price. In my area people are more willing to sell cheap just to get rid of it but that also means once I get them home cleaned up & running smoothly they don't resell well.
    dee fox
    cedar city ut and i am a fabricaholic & i have a few other addictions-scrap booking is right up there w/ fabric

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sisterziz View Post
    Do you have any idea what year the yellow brother is? My friend just bought one and we haven't been able to find out any thing about it.
    If you are reffering to the yellow brother I post awhile back-mine is a Brother Galaxie 1361, sorry I haven't investigated anymore then that. I haven't been able to get it run smoothly so it sorta got pushed to the side for a while but now you have brought up I think I might attempt to work on her again.She runs for a few minutes then the hand wheel stops turning, motor still runs...open to suggestions, please.
    dee fox
    cedar city ut and i am a fabricaholic & i have a few other addictions-scrap booking is right up there w/ fabric

Page 110 of 168 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 109 110 111 120 160 ... LastLast