Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Grant, did you redo the decals? They are in such perfect condition..... amazing.
No, I did not redo the decals. This machine was in good condition under a lot of dirt.
~G~
Old 08-30-2013, 05:39 AM

Thanks Grant.... I don't think this slide plate has a screw.... it's a new replacement. I don't have any parts machines. But I'll have to wait to work on it because I'm back up at the cabin now and the machine is at my son's house downstate. Yes, it may be difficult to sand or grind straight. I've already thought of that. But I know who to ask when I get back there to work on it again.

Wow! I dream of finding a machine with such nice decals. It doesn't happen around here.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:03 AM

Thanks Grant.... I don't think this slide plate has a screw.... it's a new replacement. I don't have any parts machines. But I'll have to wait to work on it because I'm back up at the cabin now and the machine is at my son's house downstate. Yes, it may be difficult to sand or grind straight. I've already thought of that. But I know who to ask when I get back there to work on it again.

Wow! I dream of finding a machine with such nice decals. It doesn't happen around here.
Belt Sander would work best I think if that is what needs to be done. Make sure that is it first though before you start removing material.

Yes, I get lucky from time to time. This one was in good shape and I found it at a resale shop that had to vacate and I got it at a bargain basement price too. But it does have some flaws in the paint but overall I am happy with it.
~G~
Old 08-30-2013, 06:17 AM

Dreid, your Bartlett is very beautiful, as well as the lovely curved cabinet.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post

Yes, I get lucky from time to time. This one was in good shape and I found it at a resale shop that had to vacate and I got it at a bargain basement price too. But it does have some flaws in the paint but overall I am happy with it.
~G~
Well, you take some great pictures that don't show any flaws in the paint.... at least I didn't see any. Do you put car polish on the machine? It is so shiny...... really nice.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:45 AM

Default tight bobbin slide cover

knife sharpening stone and oil, or a fine tooth flat file but google filing metal videos first

Last edited by oldsewnsew; 08-30-2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: to clarify who reply is to. mobile link not easy.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:05 AM

Well, you take some great pictures that don't show any flaws in the paint.... at least I didn't see any. Do you put car polish on the machine? It is so shiny...... really nice.
Yes I use car WAX. What works with one machine doesn't always work with another machine though. I have several brands but never a polishing compound or buffing compound. They have abrasives in them that are designed to take OFF paint. Be careful what you use. I tend to use a little more elbow grease but I have never damaged a finish. I use the round cotton things women take their makeup off with for applying and removing the wax. Then I go over it with an old T shirt. There is always some dust on a black machine in my pictures, but I don't care. I want to get a can of compressed air just to blast it off just before pictures though. Lol.

Oldsewnsew, Good sound advice there. I didn't think of a stone. That is even better.
~G~
Old 08-30-2013, 07:42 AM

OSS.... thanks for the great tip. I have plenty of knife sharpening stones... I'll have to look for a really straight one because most were my dad's and he sharpened his pocket knife all the time..... those stones are curved. But I know I have some newer ones, too. I just have to find them once I'm back downstate.

I'm going to have to WAX up my machines...... it looks so nice.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Banned

I use a belt sander with a backing plate to do the initial bevel on a made-from-scratch slide, but once a slide is made (old or new) I only adjust the angles with a hand file and lots of test fits. I work from the side that enters the machine first and work outwards. This also lets me adjust the tension of the fit. I like to make them so that when in place they are tight for the first 1/4-1/2" of removal then easy slide.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:17 AM

You make it sound so easy, Steve. I'm sure it's not! Do you remove from both sides? .... and I would like to know how you make it tight and then slide. That sounds pretty tricky to me.