Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Singer 680 U - got info? >

Vintage Singer 680 U - got info?

Vintage Singer 680 U - got info?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 AM

Default Vintage Singer 680 U - got info?

I found one of these at a thrift shop. Some of the plastic housing is broken, especially around the bobbin winder and the two spool holders are snapped off. I can't find much about this model online. Does anyone know if this particular model is worth fixing up? It runs, feed dogs move & needle moves.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391295[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0290.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 AM

Any machine is worth cleaning up and adjusting the stitches. If it sews well and you need a back up, keep it. If it sews well and you don't want it, gift it someone who needs it on Freecycle. I was given a 533 in a cabinet. The ZZ is broken, but it sews a great SS. My 13 yo GD made her first quilt on it and has taken it home. My son she couldn't take home until it jammed and she learned to fix a jam. The machine NEVER jammed.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 AM

Plastic gears and housing and prone to breaking. I don't think it's worth putting in the $ to repair. Someone may want it for parts, though.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 AM

Here's a better photo of the damage [ATTACH=CONFIG]391354[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails vtg-singer-damage.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM

It depends on how much of a purist you are. You can glue the broken corner and make a spool holder or buy one from sew-classic. My GD's machine has a cut off wooden skewer for a spool pin. I agree with Candace that I wouldn't put any money into this machine, but neither would I throw it away if it's useful to someone. My GD has made a quilt here, a pillow and wall hanging and done repairs for herself and her mother at home even with no ZZ and a wooden spool pin on the 533. I like the color of this one. It will look nice cleaned up.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 PM

Irish Rose - I love the color, and for what I paid, I can live with jerry rigging. Do you have any experience digging the broken spool holder plastic out of the housing?

I have a sewing room, but I was thinking it would be nice to have a machine on the main floor of the house again.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:17 PM

double post

Last edited by irishrose; 01-28-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM

If you can't get it with pliers, then you can drill it out - just enough to put something else in. My GD and I scrubbed the exterior of her machine with detergent and brushes, then gave it coat of car wax. We (she) took off every available part so we could clean and oil the inside. I don't think it had much use in its life, so the oil was appreciated.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 AM

I would not threw it away. I would glue it. Then make sure it runs good. Clean it and oil it. Then give it away to someone that needs it or is just learning to sew. I have given sewing machines away to people before and it always gives be great joy in seeing them being used and how much that person enjoys them. I once gave a sewing machine to a lady that had 5 children and just want a machine to mend their clothes. She really appreciated it. And that made it even nicer.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 AM

Don't throw it away. You can use that 6000 glue on just about everything. Or if its metal, use that J-B weld. We've good sucess with both of these products.