Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Large Throat Machine

Wanted: Large Throat Machine

I an looking for a sewing machine for my wife. I am looking for an older machine with a 12 to 15 inch throat. No I do not want a conputerized machine, abd I can not afford an expensive machine, My wife sews on a 50 year old Singer, and loves it. Can anyone suggest an old reliable machine with a larger throat?

Thank you

well, a 201 has about 8.5 inches. There are many vintage industrial machines hitting Craigslist, and some of them have larger harps... I was going to direct you to WOW, but they charge about 2000 bucks to stretch your machine.
    so, I think if you don't want a 201(BEST machine EVER IMHO), then consider something like this:
    http://norfolk.craigslist.org/hsh/3809818741.html
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    then consider something like this:
    http://norfolk.craigslist.org/hsh/3809818741.html
    I was going to suggest the same thing. One of our members recently purchased a similar machine that was set up on a long arm frame ... it was a customized setup, but it can be done.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    What Joe said or just sew smaller quilts...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I also recommend a Singer 31-15, or 31-20. They can be found for cheap sometimes, about $150 around here in Central NY. At that price you will have to do a lot of cleaning, but should end up with a useful quilting machine. If you find one without the table and motor, know that you can buy new ones for a few hundred dollars, $300-$400, if I recall correctly. I am not sure how big the throat is on this machine, 10-11" I think. 12"-15' will be near impossible to find in an older machine, IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    What Joe said or just sew smaller quilts...
    What did I say?

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    What did I say?

Joe
    it weren't you
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

We picked up a Singer 241-12 (similar to what Makitmama posted) in it's original industrial table for $100 locally (I have good shopping "fu") They usually run from $300-$600 in good shape, with the occasional deal under $300.

I bought this 1948 machine because it was a good deal that I planned to flip, but once my lady tried it, all bets were off. This machine runs up to 3000-5000 stitches per minute. We are still only running it at about 1/2 - 3/4 speed because we are not used to it yet. But it sure make short work of long seams.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    We picked up a Singer 241-12 (similar to what Makitmama posted) in it's original industrial table for $100 locally (I have good shopping "fu") They usually run from $300-$600 in good shape, with the occasional deal under $300.

I bought this 1948 machine because it was a good deal that I planned to flip, but once my lady tried it, all bets were off. This machine runs up to 3000-5000 stitches per minute. We are still only running it at about 1/2 - 3/4 speed because we are not used to it yet. But it sure make short work of long seams.
    I have one if someone wants to drive over here...

Does anyone ever notice some of the first time posters never say thank you for info or ever return again......just sayin'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast