Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Watch your bids on GW auctions, shills are bidding >

Watch your bids on GW auctions, shills are bidding

Watch your bids on GW auctions, shills are bidding

Old 11-26-2013, 04:44 PM

All three are not for profit.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
All three are not for profit.
Which to be clear does NOT mean that they cannot "make money" (hand over fist even). Just that the money has to stay within the organization.

GW has lost most of the respect that I once had for them as an .org
Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 PM

Goodwill CEO earns huge $$, they just bought a new corporate jet. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-h...b_1876905.html . Nonprofit, does not mean the big wigs don't rake in the bucks!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:36 AM

My friend and I were commenting on the extreme ranges of the auctions on GW... so that may explain that! We were also commenting on how expensive their shipping rates are at certain locations... I am very cautions when I bid on GW b/c of the shipping rates. Will be interested in hearing more as time goes on..

And a BIG CONGRATS to your DD on her major accomplishment!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:47 AM

Joe, I felt this happened to me on a purchase. As a result, I no longer donate to GW and take my items to the SA. I feel much better knowing the items will sold in my community rather than being listed on an auction!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:49 AM

What an interesting read this has been this morning. Thanks for all your comments. I get mad at GW just about every time I go in a couple of our local ones (local meaning it is 30 miles or more from my home). And yes, I have found jeans at GW for $7.99, and gone to a local discount store to find a pair better for $5.99 (on sale of course, but way cheaper than GW). I hate that; and no longer even look at GW's jeans.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 AM

I quit shopping at Goodwill when they started charging LQS prices for donated fabric, and selling dollar store items for 2.99!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:26 AM

I try to stick to ebay or local pick up for any Good Will purchase. There is no customer/consumer protection for jacked up shipping via GW, and there have been people very unhappy to receive broken and damaged goods due to poor packaging. At least with ebay you are protected and can file claims and get your money back. And shilling is not allowed and is acted upon! With GW it's cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'd prefer not to do that and really don't see the draw of this auction site. The prices are high, the shipping exorbitant and no coverage if something goes wrong. Seems like a lose, lose to me.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:26 AM

Thanks for this info on shill bidders.......it's been a long time since I've bid/won at eBay...never bid at GW....now, I will not even look at either...as far as the GW store....we have 3 within a 25 mile radius from home and when I am in the area of one, I usually stop in......I too have found how erratic the prices are...and who considers buying broken chipped, missing pieces items......am losing my interest for GW...rarely find any treasures there lately.....better off at church sponsored resale shops.......
Old 11-27-2013, 10:44 AM

Candace,

Our local GW, SA and other thrift stores have virtually nothing sewing related. Once in a blue moon you'll find something, but not often.
I've had decent luck with GW auctions. Only a few machines arrived damaged and we got our money back on those.

Besides I find eBay far more expensive and difficult to use, and they force you to pay with PayPal whereas GW does give you choices.

Geri B,

GW auctions is just like eBay in that "you" have to set your max price, and do not go over that. Like in my original post, I decided that I would not pay over the minimum bid due to the condition of the machine. I was outbid by a shill and the machine later re-listed. I still want that motor and might try again, but I'm not sure.

As for the shipping costs, again, you can check them before you even bid, then decide if it's too much or OK. I do that all the time. Many machines have been passed by due to that locations outrageous shipping costs.

And here's something we've been doing recently. When we win a machine, we email them requesting that they make sure it's packed properly and make them reply to our email before we pay for the item. And we tell them we will pay after they respond. So far that's worked pretty good.

Joe