Weird paint on my Pfaff 332

Old 03-31-2015, 09:13 AM
Banned

FYI - If you bring the original into most automotive paint shops, they can scan the existing paint and mix a matching color. The cool thing is that this process makes sure it matches the current color, not the original color, so it will blend better.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:47 AM

If this were my machine, I would start by contacting the manufacturer. i am sure someone there could give you advice. Also, look for a forum on the brand, there usually is one. The internet is a huge resource.

QUOTE=Mrs. SewNSew;7146476]I've just started working on this little doll today and after trying a few different products I wasn't sure about any of them.

I need to stop and re-evaluate what is going on and what can I clean it with?

The paint is your typical Pfaff hammertone paint. I believe is was originally a light grey/beige color. It has several areas where the paint has worn off but it also has areas where the paint is thickened and yellowed. In those areas I can feel it a bit tacky.

I'm not sure if this is dirt/scum/oil or did the Pfaffs have a clear coat too?

If anyone has dealt with this I would love to hear input on cleaning methods.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-01-2015, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by ar007tornado View Post
If this were my machine, I would start by contacting the manufacturer. i am sure someone there could give you advice. Also, look for a forum on the brand, there usually is one. The internet is a huge resource.
I am not so sure the original manufacturer can even be contacted? I have researched the internet and am currently doing so (I'm here asking lol). I am a member of a Pfaff group and have searched their information. The products I have tried have not been willy-nilly. They are products I have researched and had success using with other vintage machines. This machine has not responded the same way.

At this time I have done my best to clean the surfaces so the machine may be used for sewing but this old gal is showing her age and to make her really look awesome I would have to re-paint. I won't be doing that at this time, instead I am changing my focus to getting the machine working well.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:08 AM

Maybe just consider the orangey stuff to be an anti-theft device. LOL
Old 04-02-2015, 04:14 PM

I guess my biggest concern would be that you mentioned the paint was a bit soft and gummy. That may interfere with cloth being able to slide easily across the bed or worse yet maybe rub off on the item you're sewing.
Rodney
Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I guess my biggest concern would be that you mentioned the paint was a bit soft and gummy. That may interfere with cloth being able to slide easily across the bed or worse yet maybe rub off on the item you're sewing.
Rodney
Although the ugly orange color didn't calm down the gumminess was better after cleaning. Tuff Stuff seemed to remove the greasy, gummy the best.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:48 AM
man

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Here's a link to a manual for it: http://www.manualowl.com/m/Pfaff/332/Manual/333705
Link to manual didnt work for me, page displays 404 error. Theres some new manual link if someone neeeds http://safe-manuals.com/user-manual/pfaff/automatic-332
Old 12-21-2016, 07:47 AM

*** It looks like Nicotine from a smoker.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:16 PM

Have you tried Ronsonal lighter fluid or naphtha? I've had success removing sticky substances with them.