Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
A Well loved machine - my grandmothers Singer >

A Well loved machine - my grandmothers Singer

A Well loved machine - my grandmothers Singer

Old 08-12-2013, 05:19 PM

Default A Well loved machine - my grandmothers Singer

My grandmother was a dynamo. She came to America through Ellis Island, married, had eight children, could cook a mountain of food in a tiny kitchen, no whining from her about needing granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. Nut roll, pierogies, stuffed cabbage, homemade noodles and chicken soup, cold dough cookies, thumbprint cookies, potato pancakes came flying out of that kitchen. She taught me to crochet, I was never fast enough for her, I would do two rows she would grab the aphgan and put 10 rows on in a flash lol. She loved to watch Studio Wrestling and the wrestler Bruno Sammartino and then watch Lawrence Welk, we did that on Saturday nights for years.

My aunt tells me she was a beautiful seamstress. She made smocked dresses, tailored coats, ruffled blouses. She knew good quality fabric and she would feel the fabric of anything that I made and offer her advice to buy better fabric the next time.

This is her machine and I am honored and blessed to have it. When I see where the wear marks are I imagine her hands there pinning and tucking and sewing. I am named for her and I miss her every day but cherish all my memories of her. [ATTACH=CONFIG]429956[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 08-12-2013, 05:22 PM

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

I love your story and what a wonderful machine. I'll bet you wish it could tell you a story or two! My grandmother came through Ellis Island too. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:34 PM

Beautiful story Sideways. and a lovely Singer. How wonderful that you can place your hand where her's were and sew a few miles in her shoes.
My mother's family storey is similar so I understand this tale so very well.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:37 PM

Lovely machine! That pattern is called "pheasant" though none of the birds look like a pheasant.

I also grew up watching Lawrence Welk. Then I married a guy who's great Uncle was in his band - and occasionally sang too.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:42 PM

Your story was so warming, enjoy this beautiful gift you have received
Old 08-12-2013, 06:20 PM

Omg. U just made me cry! as you were telling your memories, well my Grandmother came right to mind, the stuffed cabbage, noodles. potato pancakes... teaching me to crochet as well.. that is a beautiful machine and I know its one you will have forever! we are very lucky to of had our grandparents with us.. I wouldn't change my family for the world..
Old 08-12-2013, 06:29 PM

Thank you everyone for all your kind comments. I love this board and all the wonderful people here!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 PM

Great memories and beautiful machine. I'm glad for you that you can use her machine.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:12 PM

I was feeling almost every moment in your story! My mother did not come through Ellis, but almost every word in your story could have been about her. I lost my mother and best friend in 2003 and never fail to think of her many times a day. It's sort of funny that I was never fast enough for her, either. I took after my more easy going daddy.