What is this accessory foot?

Old 03-03-2014, 06:29 PM

Default What is this accessory foot?

It isn't numbered and I have searched but couldn't find one like it. It does have a small measurement section on it that I hope you can see in the pictures and a very scary Captain Hook thingy on the bottom....Thanks

Oh jeepers! Sorry about that last pic, it's huge!
Attached Thumbnails img_5403.jpg   img_5404.jpg   img_5405.jpg  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:35 PM

This attachment is for making wide hems
Old 03-03-2014, 06:45 PM

Thanks Glenn, I just now found one on Simanco. Adjustable hemmer. Learning what all of the accessories are is sometimes daunting for a newbie...
Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
Thanks Glenn, I just now found one on Simanco. Adjustable hemmer. Learning what all of the accessories are is sometimes daunting for a newbie...
Nice pics. This foot is mentioned in nearly every Singer sewing machine manual. It's very common.

I spent some time just reading the section on attachments from the 201 manual. The narrow hemmer is a great attachment, as is the edge stitcher.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:05 AM

BTW - that is the older style that does not swing out of the way. With this one, if you want to use it for really wide hems, you have to remove the slide part. So you see a lot of them taken apart.

With the newer style, the thumb screw does not come all the way out (well, it does it you really work at it) and there is a notch on the underside where it can slide so it's out of your way.

Like manicmike said - it is one of the 6 standard feet that came with the Singer sets over the years. The design is originally Wheeler Wilson, so you'll see even earlier ones with that style attachment. And of course, with the back clamp for the early 66's too.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:08 AM

and to add - this is what Singer had instead of the graduated hemmer set that Greist had. They both have the narrow hemmer as a separate foot. Very early Singer sets have the graduated hemmer feet - and then they went to this style after buying WW.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 AM

Thanks for all of the information I really enjoy reading about the different attachments. When I learn what the attachments are for I tag and bag them. This one needs cleaned up first and I will print out the info here and add it to the bag so I know what it does and which kind of hemmer it is. Thank you.

As far as being mentioned in almost every Singer manual it also has to have really good pics too so that I can match them up to what accessory I am trying to figure out. I have lots of old machines and very few manuals. But I do go to the singer site and that has been very helpful. Sometimes what I have looks slightly different and so I keep searching until I can find the EXACT same one.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Attachments are fun. I have discovered there's a fairly steep learning curve to some of them. The narrow hemmer and ruffler are two that I'm still working on. They all need practice but when you get it figured out they make difficult jobs easy.
Rodney
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 AM

On some of the parts, there are minor differences depending on the age. If you start looking at older attachments (like pre 1910 ) you'll see a lot of variations. I've tried hard to match up the exact variation attachment to go with the correct period manual for my Singer machines.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:33 AM

Yes, I am learning these things. I am going to be rehoming most of my machines as I do have a warm glass studio and I do metalsmithing, electroforming, lapidary, jewelry creations and create art glass beads and it is a very involved craft/hobby and I just do not have the time to devote to collecting vintage machines. Didn't have a clue when I started this, that it was so addictive or involved. I did however in the course of this wonderful excursion into sewing machines find out which ones I love sewing with and need along with a few beauties I have fixed up and just have to keep for my own very small collection. So I am trying to put the machines I have together, cleaned up with the correct accessories to rehome hence the searching of parts, their names, figuring out the time periods and what they do and what machines they will go with. Arrrggghh!!!! But it is still fun.
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Attachments are fun. I have discovered there's a fairly steep learning curve to some of them. The narrow hemmer and ruffler are two that I'm still working on. They all need practice but when you get it figured out they make difficult jobs easy.
Rodney
Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
On some of the parts, there are minor differences depending on the age. If you start looking at older attachments (like pre 1910 ) you'll see a lot of variations. I've tried hard to match up the exact variation attachment to go with the correct period manual for my Singer machines.