Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What can anyone tell about this Elna? >

What can anyone tell about this Elna?

What can anyone tell about this Elna?

Old 10-10-2014, 01:27 PM

Default What can anyone tell about this Elna?

DS just text and asked if I was interested in this machine. NOT anything like what has been on my radar but the cabinet is at least something I could as a desk?? Is it a pretty good gal? (almost give-away price).
Attached Thumbnails fullsizerender-1-.jpg  
Old 10-10-2014, 01:54 PM

It's one of Elna's best machines, the 62C. Google it and there's a ton of info out there. It takes cams but has several built in stitches. Make sure the foot control is there as they're pricey to replace. They also have a couple of nylon gears so make sure that it works before purchasing. If it's a "give away" price I'd buy it even with issues as the parts are available. I love mine and have caught and released many. I always sell them very quickly.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
It's one of Elna's best machines, the 62C. Google it and there's a ton of info out there. It takes cams but has several built in stitches. Make sure the foot control is there as they're pricey to replace. They also have a couple of nylon gears so make sure that it works before purchasing. If it's a "give away" price I'd buy it even with issues as the parts are available. I love mine and have caught and released many. I always sell them very quickly.
Well, they are holding it for me to look at first thing in morning. Thanks, Candace for the input. I know my MIL had an Elna she purchased in the early eighties and it was her pride and joy but that is all I know about them.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

I love those Elna machines, too.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:37 PM

Good to know. I've watched a few pass by on Shopgoodwill and have wondered about them too.
Rodney
Old 10-11-2014, 01:16 AM
Power Poster

I will have to say you do have to know what you are doing to repair those machines. They are not a do it yourself beginner repair machine.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:01 AM

I have an Elna like this that I bought 42 years ago. It is still running great. There is a wonderful sewing repair place close to my home that I take it to once a year for a cleaning. These machines are work horses. All the parts inside are metal. Let me know what you decide. Does it have the manual. If so could I get a copy of it. PM me if you get a chance.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:11 AM

I have a 62D and it's a good machine. As Candace said, it does have a couple of nylon gears that can fail, so there's that and if you pay to have it replaced, it will be expensive. The other common failure is the L-shaped molded plug that fits into the side of the machine. I received mine free from someone because it "didn't work" (and hadn't for years) and the owner had replaced it with a Singer years earlier. The problem was the faulty plug. All the places I found online for replacements were $50+ just for the cord, but I checked at a local sewing repair place and purchased a cordset for $15, hooked up the old pedal and she was good to go. Cleaned and oiled, she sews beautifully. My only complaint is the feed dog cover plate which tends to try to flip up when I use it for heavier items.

It does make beautiful decorative stitches with cams. You can find the cams on e-bay but they tend to be expensive (and popular).

I need to get it out and use it again.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:18 AM

Had one back in the 70's till 2000 and never saw the inside of a repair shop. I took all the abuse I gave it too. Traveled thru many a state while moving around. Sold it when I got my 1st embroidery machine and I'm still kicking myself for selling it. Tried to buy it back for twice the money and the gal wouldn't accept my offer. Guess she realized what a jewel she had. It was a work horse for me while sewing clothes for my daughter and myself all those years. Didn't get into quilting till afterwards but I'd still take it back after all these years. Broke the little knob on the top but glued it back. Don't recall ever oiling it but I must have if it needed it. Elna made a great machine back then and still does. I now have their 945 serger and its never seen the inside of a repair shop and its over 20 years old.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Need to remember this information about the Elna. Have seen a couple at pawn shop. Hmm! Will have to do a pawn shop hop.