Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What can you tell me about Wheeler & Wilson #9s? >

What can you tell me about Wheeler & Wilson #9s?

What can you tell me about Wheeler & Wilson #9s?

Old 12-23-2013, 08:19 PM

Default What can you tell me about Wheeler & Wilson #9s?

Basically just what the title says. I'm curious about Wheeler & Wilson #9 machines. Have any of you used one and what do you think. Any other info would be good too. I don't see much about them but they look like a pretty advanced machine for their time.
Thanks,
Rodney
Old 12-23-2013, 08:32 PM

Rodney,

The W&W 9D was the direct forbearer of the Singer 9W-7. Singer bought out W&W and actually continued production
of the 9D with Singer decals on it. Then not long afterwards Singer made a few changes to make them compatible with Singers cabinets.

I have two of the later Singer 9W-7s and they are excellent sewers. The only odd things is they turn backwards from all other Singers, the earlier ones use a funny doughnut shaped bobbin that is scarce and they take the obosolete 127x1 needles. There is a substitute that works great though.

Joe

I like the two I have and doubt I'll part with them.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:03 AM

Rodney,

The #9 and D-9 great machines, very smooth and quiet, great stitch, and well worth buying if the opportunity presents itsself. Like Joe says the Singer 9W-1 and 9W-7 is Singers continuation of the model after they took control of W&W in 1905. Some of these 9W-7's use a featherweight bobbin which is of great convenience as the donut bobbins for W&W's sell for between $10-$20 each on ebay. The 9W-7 was replaced by the Singer 115 around 1913.

The difference between the #9 and D-9 is the method the bobbin is held onto the bobbin case. There is a Wheeler and Wilson Yahoo group which has a wealth of information in it's files and conversations:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/W...tions/messages

Jon