Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What do you know about these machines? >

What do you know about these machines?

What do you know about these machines?

Old 05-31-2014, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

Very pretty and cool design. Is it to sew with or to look at? As with any old sewing machine - check to see if they sew and how well they sew. How comfortable are you using the machine? At any rate they will sew longer than one of the plastic wonders.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:31 AM

My Mom has had a Kenmore 29 for at least 45 years. A few years ago I serviced it for her. The lint build up in the feed dogs was horrendous. I asked her when the last time she cleaned under the needle plate. She had a deer in the headlight kind of look. All those years of heavy use--it was packed in there. It's hard to imagine it could still sew, but it did.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:41 AM

I bought that exact Kenmore in FEB.-MARCH of 1961 and it is still going strong! It is in a table. I thought that I paid too much but I didn't price-out other machines. The price was exactly what our Income tax return was. $129.00. Was that too much?
Old 05-31-2014, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by quilter68 View Post
I bought that exact Kenmore in FEB.-MARCH of 1961 and it is still going strong! It is in a table. I thought that I paid too much but I didn't price-out other machines. The price was exactly what our Income tax return was. $129.00. Was that too much?
Nope. I can't imagine any similarly priced modern machine lasting for 50+ years. Or even 5, for that matter.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:05 AM

Thank you Sewing Joe and Quilter68 who is now 69 and 70. (Grin) Those are good references for the Kenmore.

I do want my machines to sew, mostly piecing, and occasionally other tasks that come up. AND to look good while doing it, ha! My main machine for the past 20 years has been my Featherweight. I have just caught the bug "Vintage-itis!"