Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you suppose

Blog Entries

What do you suppose

these feet were used for? I found these while I was looking for a 1/4" foot. The 2 to the far right are the same with different numbers. One prong is on a spring and moves up and down.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The second one from the Left is part of a SINGER Gauge Presser Foot Set.
    and you can read all about it here: http://www.april1930s.com/html/singe...foot_atta.html

I have no idea about the other three.

Joe

The 2 from right to left are called Compensating feet. They are used on areas where one side of the fabric is higher than the other due to a fold or seam.

The far left foot is a straight stitch foot with a needle guard. the guard is nice to have if you are teaching little ones to sew, or like me, are a klutz.
    Last edited by Mitch's mom; 07-17-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks y'all. Think that needle guard would work on my hand crank? I know Miriam speaks of them, never seen one.

Blog Entries
    Now I'm wondering if I have any of those gauges in my junk.

Quote Originally Posted by grannysewer View Post
    Now I'm wondering if I have any of those gauges in my junk.
    I have the foot with one of the gauges. Would love to somehow come up with the whole set.

Compensating feet. Hmmmm, those would be nice to have in my collection. Never seen any for sale though.
    Needle guard, hmmmm, the best way to remember about keeping your fingers out of the needle is to exercise self control and awareness.

J e

Sew-classic sells them. I picked one up. I'm hoping if I use it regularly, I won't ever have to feel the needle make two full stitches into my finger before I manage to stop the machine again.

Edit: I don't see why it wouldn't work on a treadle,.. it just hooks on at the same place as the foot itself.

Many thousands of years ago when I was weeeeeeee lad, my mom was sewing on the kitchen table. She was using a black machine of some kind. At some point she sewed her finger into her work in such a way she couldn't get the set screw out. I had to do that. Not fun for a weeeeeee lad to have to do. Mom then proceeded to pull the needle out, bandage the finger and continue with her sewing.

Lesson learned. Joey don't get no digits near that sharp poky staby thing. Nuh uh.

Joe

Good grief!! That takes a much stronger person than I am,.. both of you in fact!
    I'll admit it,.. there were tears involved for me.

I worked in a sewing factories for many years. I sewed my fingers several times. The worst was when the needle went into my finger and bowed without breaking. I had to take the presser foot off in order to get my finger out. It tore the nail half off and they had to take me to the doctor to cut my nail off. Believe it or not but I had my guard in place. Don't have an idea what happened.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast