Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • What goe underneath Martha Washingtons skirt? >
  • What goe underneath Martha Washingtons skirt?

• What goe underneath Martha Washingtons skirt?

Old 12-09-2013, 04:41 PM

Default What goe underneath Martha Washingtons skirt?

My son just acquired for me a White Rotary in a Martha Washington cabinet. Cabinet is abused, painted green and missing parts. No top piece of the cabinet. Re-wired with a singer button foot control. He would like to repair it but has no idea what it is supposed to look like or what parts are missing. The knee control bar is still there, but he can't figure out how the machine is supposed to fold into the cabinet. If some one could share some pictures of a complete machine, I am sure he could then figure it out. Did I mention he is a mechanic by trade! Good part is the machine runs and only thing he can find missing is the thumb screw that holds the machine down in front.
    Attached Thumbnails russ-white2.jpg  
    Old 12-09-2013, 05:13 PM
    Power Poster

There is a real nice one on the picture section: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t130994.html
    Old 12-11-2013, 04:31 AM

It looks to me like that cabinet has been modified somewhat. The hinges to the compartment cover on the left, appear to be the original hinges for the cabinet top. There were other special hinges on the compartment cover below the top hinges. The machine head originally folded down into the cabinet, lifted back up, and was held in place by the top extension leaf that your cabinet is missing. The movement was accomplished using a cable and pulley system attached to the leaf. The cable rested in a groove in the wood on the back left side of the cabinet. The folding action on yours is being held in the raised position without the chain lift somehow.

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Thumbnails machine153c_14a.jpg  
    Old 12-11-2013, 06:40 AM

looks like someone took the lid and cut it so it's the same size as the left compartment.

Based on what I've seen online, I bet it looks identical underneath to my White rotary with the door.

Imagine a panel attached to hide the electrical and belly pan - it will pull up out of the way along with this part.

This shows starting to open the lid - your lid has been modified.

Once fully up - the knee bar hooks on the lever on the speed control and extends out from the side of the cabinet.

BTW - with yours you would not see this, as the skirt would be folded back and hiding it all.

And another, because this machine tilts BACK - you must have that screw in the front holding the machine in. Singers tilt forward so don't need something like this.

Last edited by Macybaby; 12-11-2013 at 06:44 AM.
    Old 12-11-2013, 01:22 PM

I vote that yours is the best titled post. Looks like a good project!