Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What is a good price for just a FW >

What is a good price for just a FW

What is a good price for just a FW

Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 AM

Default What is a good price for just a FW

I seen an add on kijiji someone is selling just a FW, no case, accessories, etc. they are asking $200 which is way to high for me. I bought my fully loaded one for 130. What would be agood price to offer?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:10 PM

The price of a FW always depends on two things -- condition and how much you are willing to pay. If the machine has all it's decals, no scratches and sews perfectly, then $200 might be an OK price. If, however, it needs work, then unless you just have to have it, $200 is way too much. I bought a 1950 FW in March without a case, accessories, etc., and paid $120. My plan is to have it painted, so I wasn't concerned about a case, and I have 5 other FWs, so have enough accessories.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:00 AM

To me $200 is a terrific price in Texas at least. Here you will pay $300 or more if complete and in nice looking condition and some accessories.
$200 would be bad condition and no case, maybe no accessories.

To get one fully loaded for $130 would be buying from someone who really needed the money, or did not know what they had.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:13 PM

Depends on what you are looking for. I got what I thought was a good deal. Only the machine, no case or extras for $100. Sews beautifully. I already had extras that would work on it, didn't want the case. So, it is a personal decision. Consider your options and what you are willing to pay. If it is good to you, go for it.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:25 PM

Gee, you folks who can find them for only $100 - $200 are lucky. I think my area mostly bought Japanese machines and Singer full size machines. If I even see a Featherweight here, it's in an antique shop and it has $250 & up on it even if it's run-of-the-mill condition. Now treadles, we have those out the wazoo, being a rural area. Probably some people would even just give me theirs if I promise to take good care of them and no sell them for scrap metal.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:18 AM

I bought my FW 9 yrs. ago, and there weren't many for sale around this general area. I paid $500 for it, and was glad to get it. The tech. I go to said that was a good price, and he checked and the supply was low. Later I found that there was a surplus and they were going for $200. So, it depends around here, anyway, on the supply. Mine had not been used--ever, and was a 1942 model. The previous owners had it thoroughly checked out, and serviced. I have not had a minute's worth of problem with it. Feel very lucky!Mariah.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 AM

Well, my son found my Featherweight for me at Goodwill Store. It had no case, no attachments, but it was (and is) in pristine condition (it's a white one) and he got it for $50. It really sews nice, does a very good job, and although I haven't been able to use it as much as I would like, I wouldn't sell it for any amount of money because he bought it for me.

Jeanette Frantz
Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 PM

I was thinking I would offer $50. It is scratched up, an there seems to be a high # available here. (I live in St. John's Newfoundland, Canada and I think singer had a featherweight assembly plan here in the 1940s, everyone had one!)

The last one I bought was for my sister and I got at an estate sale for $50. Not as nice as mine, but had the case and all accessories.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:09 AM

I think the price depends on where the machine is located in our area you never see them for sale so when you do the price is really high. $200 to me would be fair if the machine works.