What kind of wax do you use?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:05 AM

Default What kind of wax do you use?

I would like to wax my new baby, and just not sure what to use.I don't want to mess her up! I heard someone say zymol, if so what kind. There are too many out there! Thanks.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Banned

I use TR3 Resin Glaze on my machines. Find it at auto parts stores.

Cari
Old 06-19-2015, 02:20 PM

I have a few because I tried a few lol! What I use depends on the machine, the paint, the age the clear coat and what I feel comfortable with. I ALWAYS test a hidden spot first and there are some I don't dare use anything but sewing machine oil.

What a product will or wont do totally depends on the condition of the machine. I think many people think that every vintage machine can be shined up like new. That is not the reality.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I have a few because I tried a few lol! What I use depends on the machine, the paint, the age the clear coat and what I feel comfortable with. I ALWAYS test a hidden spot first and there are some I don't dare use anything but sewing machine oil.

What a product will or wont do totally depends on the condition of the machine. I think many people think that every vintage machine can be shined up like new. That is not the reality.
This. The shellac clear coat used to protect the decals on old black machines is often in poor condition. Rubbing wax on the machine can rub the old shellac and decals off if you're not careful about what you're doing.

I would think almost any decent automotive wax would work well on machines that can handle it.
Rodney
Old 06-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Banned

Yes! What Christy and Rodney said. I should have been more specific when talking about the TR3. It will remove a damaged clear coat, but then so will most products of this sort. The top of my 201-2 has lost most of the clear coat, but I kept going with the TR3 to protect it as best can be done.

Cari
Old 06-20-2015, 04:11 AM

The only time I have seen zymol (spelling ) mentioned is when people are talking feather weights. For refurbished French polished the talk carnauba .
Old 06-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HelenAnn View Post
The only time I have seen zymol (spelling ) mentioned is when people are talking feather weights. For refurbished French polished the talk carnauba .
It's the difference between a Japanned cast iron machine and a painted aluminum machine. I use TR3 on all of them because it's what I have. It works.

Cari
Old 06-20-2015, 03:23 PM

I've used the tr3 and I do like it. Used it on my 301s.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:24 PM

I work in a museum. All museums recommend using bowling alley wax on old or vintage items. It is clear and remains clear, does not yellow with age. You can find it for sale on the web.
As for use on very old machines, be sure and do a test if possible. I have used it on several old machines and it worked well for me.

Ethel
Old 06-21-2015, 04:54 AM

I've used baby oil and use cotton balls to wipe it down....never hurt mine but I only do it like once a year?