What to look fer?

Old 12-04-2016, 07:16 AM

Default What to look fer?

I am new to sewing machines. A 1909 Singer 29-4 got me interested in older machines. I, now, bring home any treadle machine, or parts, that I can afford. My Bride use to sew fer our family to have clothes. When the girls left home she stopped sewing. But she is not familiar with the old treadle machines.

I have a VS machine that is complete and I thank it would sew if it was thoroughly cleaned and oiled. But, I don't know what brand it is. I can find no decals nor badges that may give a hint. There is a serial number on the door that opens to access the bobbin. I am leaning towards a Davis. Is there any little detail that will give me the answer?

Thank fer any help.
Mule
Old 12-04-2016, 07:52 AM

If you could post a pic (must be pretty small) we could probably help you out. Congrats on the start of an addiction.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:11 AM

If it's a US machine, chances are very good we can tell you want it is by looking at it.

Davis (VS) - belt goes on outside of flywheel (not side towards machine) and it has a square needle plate. Needle hole is offset from presser bar. There are few other identifiers, and those aren't limited to Davis, but it helps narrow it down.

There are several that had the serial number stamped on the slide.

Here are several Davis machines, with different types of tension. If it's got a top tension like the first, look closely as they are also a way to identify the manufacturer.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:49 AM

I'll try a picture later today.

Mine looks identical to the "honeymoon" in Cathy's first picture. Except mine has tons of caked on dirt/dust film. I don't see much in the way of clear decals. I am gonna try to clean it before I take a picture.

Mule

Last edited by confederatemule; 12-04-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

I have a couple machines like that that have been "refurbished" someone painted the machine in some kind of ugly black paint then put a motor and light on them. There will be no restoring decals on mine. If yours has decals under all the filth, check with Glenn and his sticky note about refinishing the old machines before you clean or do anything.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:24 PM

Well, I did not get to clean the machine today. I am gonna try to post 3 pictures of it as it is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563238[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]563239[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]563240[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2016-12-5-vs-treadle-machine-head-%5B9%5D_crop.jpg   2016-12-5-vs-treadle-machine-head-%5B2%5D_crop.jpg   2016-12-5-vs-treadle-machine-head-%5B7%5D_crop.jpg  
Old 12-05-2016, 08:46 PM

I'm nowhere near an expert, but yours looks a lot like Cathy's Davis machines. I have one that I started cleaning today, and it looks like the lacquer (?) and decals are very delicate. I'm just using clear sewing machine oil and a clean rag, and wiping it off very gently.

Best of luck with your "new" machine! I think you have a good one.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:43 AM

While lookin at the bobbin and shuttle, early this mornin, I found "Davis" on the shuttle. Reckon that could be a positive clue to the machine identity?

Mule
Old 12-06-2016, 09:46 AM

yes, your machine was made by Davis. With badged machines, often the majority of the decals were put on first, and have a better coating. the "name" was added later, depending on the quantity needed. So the "name" wears off first

It's not uncommon to find the machine with identical decals - with different names on them.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:51 AM

Yours looks like a M version 2, my Honeymoon is model M, version 3.