Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What model is this Singer?

kso

What model is this Singer?

What model # is this machine? It is a slant needle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sconklin/2558475391/
    "God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses" -- Robert Bontine Cunninghame-Graham, letter to Theodore Roosevelt, 1890

Touch and Sew Model 7??, 700 Series. Model number is on the base of the pillar, can't quite make it out.

Jon

I doubt she has had it longer than most of us has been around. I have no idea as to the age.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

kso
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Touch and Sew Model 7??, 700 Series. Model number is on the base of the pillar, can't quite make it out.

Jon
    Didn't all the Touch and Sew models wind their bobbins inside the bobbin case? This one does not.
    "God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses" -- Robert Bontine Cunninghame-Graham, letter to Theodore Roosevelt, 1890

kso
    Was able to take a magnifier to the photo and see that it says Model 717. Thanks for the help.

Looks like the model is 717, whether this is considered a Touch n Sew I'm uncertain. As you've noted there are some differences.

Jon

Blog Entries
    This model was sold to schools for Home Ec classes....I remember it because it's what I sewed on in school.

Much newer than the machines in my home ec class!!!
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries
    I would imagine that the comment is directed toward a child/teen/young adult....
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

That one is quite similar to the one that I bought in 1975 which was a model 774. I don't think mine was a touch and sew.

I still have mine because I can't bear to get rid of it since it has so many memories of all the clothing that I made for my kids when they were growing up and my first quilts were also made on it. I learned to make button holes on it and it did a great job of it.

The only problems that I had with it were tension issues and also that it used to "eat" small pieces of fabric when feeding them through. Since I have started collecting vintage machines and learning how sewing machines work I am sure that I can adjust the tension myself, now, and most likely the problem with the fabric being pulled into the little needle hole is that I never changed my needle for many years

Here is a pic of the machine on this manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ~~Cathy~~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast