Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
At what point will you discard/trash a machine? >

At what point will you discard/trash a machine?

At what point will you discard/trash a machine?

Old 05-28-2015, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Rodney, I have no idea what that poor thing is. Joe
I know what it is - a future lamp! (Reference to this thread.)
Old 05-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

Seems like a machine has to be in rrrrreeeeeaaaaaallllllyyyyy bad shape for some of you to pass one by.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:56 PM

You know, things like that happen. I have a Singer from the 50s. It is a really sweet machine and I loved the way it sewed. I stored it in the garage six years ago and took it out to see how it was. It turns out that cockatoos throw their water everywhere and it's seized up. I felt terrible, because it seems like it was in my care. I haven't tackled the motor to see if that's the issue. The head seems to work and I might be able to recover it.

The truth is, the world is awash in sewing machines. Some of them are going to be scrapped. It makes sense for us to try to save rare ones and those in excellent shape. If we can recover a few more, that's great, but they may wind up scrapped when the next generation gets them.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Links on your topic:

Some times you can find a very amazing sewing machine under a to of grunge.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t261967.html

I may have more that could be linked on this topic but it is getting late and those should keep you busy a while.
I got an invalid attachment on this one, so no pictures.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by notsothoreau View Post
I got an invalid attachment on this one, so no pictures.
Some times when I post the attachments don't work right so I re-post them on a page farther along and you should be able to still see the pictures.
Did you find the poem?

Last edited by miriam; 05-28-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:42 PM

Yep, I just didn't go in deep enough!

I think we respond to machines that want to sew. You just kinda get that feeling that it wants to work. Some of them just don't care, like they've given up, and it's easier to scrap those. I'll have to tackle my wanna-sews in a few months when I get the sewing projects out of the way.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by notsothoreau View Post
Yep, I just didn't go in deep enough! I think we respond to machines that want to sew. You just kinda get that feeling that it wants to work. Some of them just don't care, like they've given up, and it's easier to scrap those. I'll have to tackle my wanna-sews in a few months when I get the sewing projects out of the way.
I know just what you mean. When I was fixing my NVF, it was like she was waking up after a long sleep and was calmly, happily ready to sew again.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:42 AM

I have only come across 2 that went to the scrappers. Both were Brother's - !st one was bought brand new it spent more time in the repair shop then at home.Once the warranty expired I scrapped it out The other was 30 yrs old when
I got it -but it just plain had a bad attitude. I use to make all my cloths and it would sew 1/2 of a pair of pants or 1side of a zipper then it would go bat crazy and not finish the other 1/2 -but if I started another garment it would sew as sweet as honey til I got to the 1/2 way point. It behaved the same no matter who used it. I will never own another Brother machine
Old 05-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
I have only come across 2 that went to the scrappers. Both were Brother's - !st one was bought brand new it spent more time in the repair shop then at home.Once the warranty expired I scrapped it out The other was 30 yrs old when
I got it -but it just plain had a bad attitude. I use to make all my cloths and it would sew 1/2 of a pair of pants or 1side of a zipper then it would go bat crazy and not finish the other 1/2 -but if I started another garment it would sew as sweet as honey til I got to the 1/2 way point. It behaved the same no matter who used it. I will never own another Brother machine
That makes me sad, I'm sorry to hear that. I know Brother made some clinkers in the 80s and 90s like everyone else did, I actually had a VX780 that I couldn't wait to get rid of. But for me my vintage Brother machines are the best and I'd put them up against any machine any day. I do have one that may end up going to the scrap heap, I think it has a bent shaft so not worth trying to fix.

Cari
Old 05-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Bent shaft? you just need a donor - I love donor machines. One of my donor machines has kept maybe 25 other machines going.