what singer is this?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 AM

Default what singer is this?

Hi
I'm new around here, I have a singer 320k, a 99 and I am considering a 634g.
I also have a husqvara from the 70ies.... a treadle husqvarna and matching head for pieces and a more modern Pfaff but there is always room for one more right? oh and the serger of course
However I cannot for the life of me find any info about this machine, I believe it's a slant from studying the photo but I'n not sure.
it's not the money, she is going dirt cheap, it's the space and I am pretty sure I won't let her go if I do take her home

anyone feel like telling me more about her?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:57 PM

Yep, it is a slant machine. Never seen one live, but it looks interesting.

If it works, and the price is good, I would pick it up, if for no other reason than the bed extension feature.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:30 PM

Isn't that the model number - 634G? It looks like a Touch and Sew, and some of them were numbers in the 600's.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
Isn't that the model number - 634G? It looks like a Touch and Sew, and some of them were numbers in the 600's.
I did a search ( well, many searches) and came up with nothing... and I knew you folks here would be able to help... thank you! ..
Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
Yep, it is a slant machine. Never seen one live, but it looks interesting.

If it works, and the price is good, I would pick it up, if for no other reason than the bed extension feature.
well the price is really cheap, I'm in sweden and the Singers just don't have a following here (lucky me ) The bed extension intrigues me, is there storage in them as well? It looks like there are hinges in the back

Thank you
Old 07-25-2013, 09:35 PM

Just a word of caution, mid 60's singers are notorious for having problems especially the touch and sew lines. It was during this time period that Singer began putting plastic and nylon gears within their machines. Ive heard they had timing issues. If you can adjust your own timing and are not squeamish about repairs then get it. :-) i have a Singer Graduate (student sewing machine) and a Singer Fashionmate from this era. I like them.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by foufymaus View Post
Just a word of caution, mid 60's singers are notorious for having problems especially the touch and sew lines. It was during this time period that Singer began putting plastic and nylon gears within their machines. Ive heard they had timing issues. If you can adjust your own timing and are not squeamish about repairs then get it. :-) i have a Singer Graduate (student sewing machine) and a Singer Fashionmate from this era. I like them.

Thank you

I love taking machines apart and fiddling with them, I think I will be ok. It will probably only cost me around 25-30 $ so not that much to lose if a working one is worth bothering with. I am really curious about the slant shank and how it feels to sew with one
Old 07-26-2013, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by foufymaus View Post
Be sure to test it before you buy. I bought one of these in 1968. It was almost new, quietest machine ever, sewed beautifully and I loved using it. EXCEPT, every time I started a sewing session I found oil on the faceplate and I had to sew some test strips to clear out the oil. After I got it sewing, everything was fine. Took it back to the Singer dealer many times but could not find anything wrong. I had been using Singers all my life but after that switched to Bernina.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:04 AM

It looks like it has a free arm (the bed pulls out). The bed reminds me of the 431G, which does have storage in a compartment behind the needle (you can see the hinges on the back.) And there doesn't appear to be a door on the top for cams, like the touch and sew have.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 AM

I would open it up on the top and bottom before investing time and money into it. If it has the plastic gears Singer is known for in this time period, I would avoid it. They crack and break and aren't worth the money, IMO, to replace.