Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What were/are chain stitch machines used for?

This one was added on the hand crank and base in the UK. Very pretty

I have never had a chain stitch but remember my Mother carefully taken the hem out of our dresses and saving the thread. (I still do if I have to alter pants) The chain stitch will come out without breaking and she always saved the thread in case she needed that color for something else. I believe most commercial hem machines are chain stitch.

Blog Entries
    my daughter has a chain stitch childs (toy) singer and it is great for basting....holds well and then removes easily.

Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North
    Ohh! I never thought about actually using my W&G. I just thought it was the coolest looking antique machine I'd ever seen. Now to get hubby to rewire her ...................... OR find a treadle table (probably easier )
    Certified basketcase
    Diane

Quote Originally Posted by helenquilt View Post
    I have never had a chain stitch but remember my Mother carefully taken the hem out of our dresses and saving the thread. (I still do if I have to alter pants) The chain stitch will come out without breaking and she always saved the thread in case she needed that color for something else. I believe most commercial hem machines are chain stitch.
    I have a Babylock blind hemmer. It does the chain stitch. It is very strong, but only if you remember to end the hem like they tell you to. If you don't, you will be rehemming. lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2