Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What is your personal collection style? >

What is your personal collection style?

What is your personal collection style?

Old 06-27-2014, 03:38 PM

I seem to have a Singer obsession...I started out wanting a Featherweight because I'd never seen one except on here..got one off Ebay, then shortly had another crossed my path, then two more ...total of 4 for my 4 grand daughters when the time comes...then swiftly moved on to a "red eye" 66 because of the pretty decals, and as I became more aware (thanks to the vintage board), I lusted for more of the practical vintage singers to use for free motion quilting, and have now added a hand crank Lotus and a Phoenix treadle, plus I have some Singer knick knacks in the form of music boxes, etc...Love it all and use all the machines too. I like to have all the attachments to go with all the machines and have been lucky enough to make that happen.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:48 PM

I like to collect the big honking treadles like the 27,The Bruce, the Brunswick(National) and Davis. I also like the Hand cranks from Germany and England. The two spool is the favorite for piecing. Now that said I have about 60 machines of all sizes from 1855 to 1940 so I guess I collect them all LOL.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:02 PM

Enjoyable reading about your collecting. I started out to sell Singer 127 treadle for a lady BUT, I bought it instead. Already had my mom's FW 221 . Did sewing for a lady and she paid me with a 301 machine and got one from her husbands family -white rotary. Then I was like glue and they stuck on me --no big money spent. Waited 2 yrs to get a 99k Handcrank and I wanted it as soon as I saw it because I thought it looked as new and I had never seen a handcrank. Sewed for the lady owner who didn't sew . In Fl bought electric 99 but then last yr for Christmas when brother gave me a 99 I gave it back . Think it was dropped and I couldn't deal with it. Hubby bought us a Kenmore from the neighbor as a good will gesture but it came with a cabinet that it won't fit inside. Have a few toys too just like everyone else need more room to display. In between got 2 FW 221 -keep in Fl.
Few weeks ago bought another FW 221 but having problem because I think a piece of thread is stuck in bobbin area and I can not get it all apart to remove thread. Looks like I need a pulley and I have a cancer quilt started on it.
Left a 401 in Fl because needs work -owners family thought I should have it because I knew the parents for yrs.--
that was that glue in action again and parts were not expensive. Oh, in kitchen have a 128 in cabinet to put in parts .

Gee, sorry to talk so much but feels good to share with folks that understand. Yes, I wanted a Singer 201 for large harp space but have decided there are none around this area in central Ontario -I'll shout to y'll if I find one

Before collecting I only had my Brother Innovis 1500D sewing / embroidery / quilting machine which I use.
When we have guests --a rarety --I explain but they know I am a sewer/quilter before they are even in the door.

Last edited by Mornigstar; 06-27-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:07 PM

Well had written more but didn't print. Wanted to mention I have scads of parts / pieces / accessories I plan to sell cheaply but I accidently left them at Fl house and need to match some with these machines in Canada. Packed the wrong bag.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:09 PM

The Necchi Supernova is on my want list. I haven't bought any of my machines through the mail other than a Singer 128 crickle finish blackside centenniel machine in a bentwood case that was on eBay from a local vendor. So if I find one locally and the price is right, I will jump at the chance!
Old 06-28-2014, 03:11 AM

I caught this bug because I thought it would be cool to own a machine that said Minnesota on it. Eleven treadles later I am getting fairly good at taking them apart , cleaning them and getting them to sew. I have three Minnesota, (A, C, and M). Now really like the transverse shuttle just because it is so mechanical and easy to understand. (yes they do talk to me.) The parts all make sense and there are not so many fiddly bits.[ATTACH=CONFIG]480683[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 02-img_3497.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 03:28 AM

Christy Sew and Sew, this is the best thread ever! Thank you for starting it. By sheer coincidence, someone emailed me the following today. I laughed, because it is -so- true.

I see that Steve and Macybaby got to steps 10 and 12, respectively.
-----------

12 Step program for Sewing Machine Collectors

Step 1 - "I'd sure like a machine like the one I learned to sew
on - or the one my Grandmother had."

Step 2 - "Lots of these old machines are really different. I'd
sure like a pink (or lavender, or green) one."

Step 3 - "Now I have two nice vintage machines, but would like
one that does zig zag - or chain stitch (or both)."

Step 4 - "I have three nice vintage machines, but I'd like a
small one to take to quilting class, or in the camper."

Step 5 - "I have four nice machines, but I don't have a green (or
pink or lavender) one. (Or one in every color).

Step 6 - "Boy, they used to make some really nice cabinets for
machines"

Step 7 - You're now known as a collector, so people start giving
you machines. You buy a set of tools perfectly sized for sewing
machine parts.

Step 8 - "I don't have a handcrank - what if the power goes out?"

Step 9 - "I don't have a treadle - what if the power goes out?"

Step 10 - "This is getting out of hand - think I'll just
specialize in rare ones."

Step 11 - "How much does it cost to ship a machine from Europe?"

Step 12 - "How many more machines can I put in the house before
we have to add on or move?"
Old 06-28-2014, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

BANG HEAD HERE >*<
I think I'm at step 12 or so.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:02 AM

I have been using a 301A and a New Home. I really love the older machines. Just recently a thread reminded me of my Viking 6440 that I used for 30 years. So I went looking for a Viking dealer in Lexington and fortunately found one. I started looking at all the great new machines and features and decided that since I am into this quilting habit for the long haul, that I need one of these new whiz-bang Vikings. I also decided I had to save a wad of cash in order to get one and that takes time. I also wanted to move into one slowly. I found a Viking 6690 on eBay which was probably Viking's first move into the electronic/computer machine. It was in excellent condition -- no nicks, scratches, or bobo's and all the cassettes. It had recently been serviced, tested and was guaranteed. It also uses the same low shank feet my New Home does. Cannot wait to give it a sew test next week.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Banned

I'm actually at 11.5.... It is only the OIOO process that has saved me... (One In One Out)