Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Wheeler and Wilson sewing machine? >

Wheeler and Wilson sewing machine?

Wheeler and Wilson sewing machine?

Old 06-30-2013, 09:55 PM

Default Wheeler and Wilson sewing machine?

Has anyone heard or know anything about a Wheeler and Wilson # 9 Home Sewing Machine? made in the 1800's I think...it's a foot pedal one...thanks
Old 06-30-2013, 10:56 PM

One of the all time greats IMHO. There's a 9 and D-9 which look alike but differ in how the bobbin is held. Bobbins are scarce. Original needles scarce (127x1) but my1014 or DBx1 industrials work. These machines are about as silent and light running as they get. Singer bought out W&W in 1905.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 AM
Banned

...and after singer bought them they continued selling them as Singer 9w's... One of the first truly home/light industrial machines made. Rotary hook was revolutionary and 9 has a high harp (space under arm) for feeding lots of material.

Early W&W marked ones with good decals are hard to find because these machines were worked pretty hard most of the time.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 AM

I have a W&W D-9, and it has the best stitch out of my three treadle machines. It's in a seldom seen "library cabinet".
Did you acquire one?
Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM

Yes TinkerQuilt I bought one at a auction this weekend for 25.00 it has a real pretty cabney and I thought that it may fit my 15 91 singer but this machine is a little smaller and the 15 91 won't fit in less I do some cutting of the wood where the machine seat...I started looking at this machine and most of the decals are off and it has a funny part where the bobbin goes there is no bobbin case it just fits in and a clamp holds the bobbin in... I havn't tried to sew with it as I really don't know how to get the pedal going. but my hubby said he knew as he use to run his mom's .so he got it going but not sewing but the needle does go up and down smoothly...I'll try and sew with it and let you know if it will sew.. there are 6 bobbins with it and a pack of needles and all kinds of attachments that I don't know what they are LOL

I'll try and send some pictures soon..thanks for the info
Old 07-01-2013, 05:24 PM

I also have a 15-91 (portable electric $20 garage sale find) and a 66 treadle that was my grandmother's. The W&W is my absolute favorite treadle machine, after some oiling and then getting it threaded properly.
Does yours have a little finger that bends out for the bobbin to be installed? (Don't know how else to describe it). If you can get it stitching, I hope you like yours as well. The bobbins are really valuable. I've seen them sell for $20 and more on Ebay. If you need more needles, I have found the Boye #18 needles in the little round wooden tubes on Ebay, they were made for the W&W #9.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 PM

tinkerquilts it does have this finger as you call it that hold the bobbin in, I called it a clamp LOL anyway I'm not to good at getting the foot pedal going where it will sew, I just keep pushing the pedal up and down and the machine does not go, it goes forward and then back. I really need to practice more on this machine ...I never had one with a foot pedal that you pushed to get it going before so this should be fun...
Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 PM

The handwheel turns away from you unlike most more modern machines. Helps to push the handwheel the proper direction till it gets going with the pedal. Your right, great fun.

Jon
Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 PM

I have one too. It was my grandmother's. Made in 1895 or thereabouts. I love it!

Enjoy yours.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:52 PM

Lucky you! You sure did get a good deal! Please post pictures when you can and let us know your progress on treadling. You probably already know this but a simple search will provide you with several YouTube videos on how to treadle. And as already mentioned, the handwheel on the WW9 spins clockwise which is the opposite of the Singers and several other makes.