Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
When an ad for a cabinet becomes a breathtaking moment >

When an ad for a cabinet becomes a breathtaking moment

When an ad for a cabinet becomes a breathtaking moment

Old 11-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Banned

Default When an ad for a cabinet becomes a breathtaking moment

OK, I am going to say this right up front. I did not think it was going to be possible to one up the stunningly beautiful "Elma" Singer 12 MOP that I recently added to the collection, I was wrong.....

Oh, so wrong....

I saw this ad on Craigslist (local even!) for two sewing machines cabinets listed for $75 each.
The problem begins when I opened up the first pic. I IMMEDIATELY recognized the unusual shaped bonnet/coffin lid as a Grover and Baker!!!! And this is one of their TOP of the line cabinets. $75...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498167[/ATTACH]

Oh YEAH!!! Heck, I'd pay $75 for the bonnet lid to use on my G&B...

Then I opened up the second pic and noticed that where the beautiful inside treadle mechanism SHOULD be, there was nothing but a pair of crappy looking shelves.. Dang it.. but hey it's $75

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498168[/ATTACH]

Then I look at the top of the picture... (Heart skips a beat or two.....)

I email to make arrangements to go get the cabinet, and of course gently ask if the machine is still around and if so, might it be for sale also? If so, how much would you be asking.

I get a reply to meet at 9am Saturday and discuss it with her husband.

Done and done!
Attached Thumbnails cl_1.jpg   cl_2.jpg  
Old 11-08-2014, 05:32 PM

Oh, my heart is skipping beats just looking at the photos! How beautiful! Can't wait to see more.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Banned

I meet the gentleman at 9:05am at his business (cool catering service and deli) and he takes me into the back.

There it is, looking just like the pic from CL!! (you'd be amazed how many time they do not...)

We chat a bit, this is an Estate sale, his mom collected antiques and these are some of the last few to be sold off. He had no idea when she got it or where. I asked about the machine, he said it's in there...

I opened the lid and then almost 5 seconds later I blinked and breathed out.... The sudden inhale took care of itself.

I turned towards Heather (to make sure she was ok) and she has this "I have a poker face, I have a poker face, look going on.

I say quietly and slowly as composed as I could, how much would you like for this? He says "what do you think it's worth? I really don't know anything about these old things".

[ Here is where my Mom's face appears in my mind with a stern look]

I told him the truth, if it is complete and works, once cleaned up and made to work it would be worth at least $800, maybe much more.

His reply was the second breath taker... "I appreciate that, Honestly I kinda thought it was part of the cabinet and was going with it for the $75, but if you feel like you would like to pay more you are welcome to"

[Mom's back... same look]

I said "i'd really fell better about paying you some for it, how does $100 for the head in addition to the $75 for the cabinet sound?"

He says "sure"

5 seconds later when I can breath again, I hand him the money.

I took this picture 30 seconds later.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498169[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20141108_091751.jpg  
Old 11-08-2014, 05:47 PM

Oh Steve, you charmer! What a great find. I am green with envy!!!!
Old 11-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Banned

Yep, an 1867 Grover and Baker Double Chainstitch with Silver arms and Mother of Pearl in the bed...... with 90+% of the decals remaining.

The arms look black here because they are tarnished, something I took great joy in remedying later ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498170[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498171[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498172[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20141108_100138.jpg   20141108_092526.jpg   20141108_100359.jpg  
Old 11-08-2014, 05:52 PM

Wow. Great story. :-) Looking forward to learning more about the machine.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Banned

Here is the upper thread spool and tension. (This machine uses two spools, this one, and one below the shuttle plate)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498173[/ATTACH]

here is a close up of the patent plate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498174[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20141108_121128.jpg   dsc_0689_close.jpg  
Old 11-08-2014, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by sews View Post
Wow. Great story. :-) Looking forward to learning more about the machine.
Hear hear. I was on the edge of my seat. Steve's excitement was conveyed beautifully.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Banned

In life, balance must be maintained... Good with the bad...

(To start with, She's OK now..)

When I finished cleaning this up we took it outside to take "beauty shots". About 2 minuted into the session, Heather yells to come inside quick. I run in and find my 14 year old Husky Gwen having a major seizure on the living room floor. We get a blanket over her to hold her down so she does not hurt herself and speaking softly to her until it passes (about 1 and a half minutes) I will spare the messy details but we got her to the emergency vet clinic and the good news is she just continued to get better minute by minute. By the time the Dr. cam in Gwen was walking around and drinking water.... Wheeewww.. As long as we do not have another soon we will be ok. She is going in for blood work in a couple days (today was stressful enough)

Gwen is home and being just as annoyed at the younger dogs as ever.

(Sorry, need to share both sides of today's emotional yo-yo... one extreme to the other)
Old 11-08-2014, 06:28 PM

Steve, congrats on your wonderful find (she's a beauty), your wonderful honesty, AND that your sweet four legged baby Gwen is doing better. What a roller coaster of a day you have had!!! Phew!