Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
When is a FW not worth the money >

When is a FW not worth the money

When is a FW not worth the money

Old 06-28-2013, 05:44 AM

Default When is a FW not worth the money

Found a FW at a local thrift store, they are asking $200. I was able to plug her in and this is what I found, the needle goes up and down when the presser foot is NOT engaged, but when the presser foot is down the needle will not go up and down and the fabric is not being pulled thru the machine. It appeared that perhaps the belt was slipping. Also, noticed (remember that I have never sewed on a FW) that the speed of the motor did not seem fast at all, more like a medium pace. So for people who know a whole lot more about FW's than myself, should I take a chance on this machine.....maybe pay less ..... or just walk away. Any ideas on the cost of cleaning and then perhaps the repairs for this particular machine. Thanks for any help with this.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 AM

They're a very basic sewing machine. If you don't feel comfortable with trying and doing your own repairs I'd walk away. FW's are not a rare machine. They're not a fast machine. They only have a .5 amp motor and can feel a bit slow coming from more powerful machines. And it could be gunked up and dirty, or needing new motor brushes, making it slower. You should be able to find one that needs less attention. Personally, I'd offer less for the machine and service it myself, though I know not everyone feels comfortable doing this.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM

I use a FW every day and I agree with everything Candace just said.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:32 PM

I bet it has thread stuck in the bobbin area.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:45 PM

Offer them less if it doesn't have extra feet, not working properly, maybe you could talk them down to less than a hundred. If you cannot repair the machine yourself it will cost you around a 100 to get attachments, repairs, etc.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:39 PM

Sounds like a very minor problem....talk them down! Waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy Downnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 06:04 PM

[h=2]When is a FW not worth the money - when it costs more than you have.[/h]
Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 PM

From what I have seen on ebay, for $200 the machine ought to work. Talk them down.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 PM

I'd agree, talk them down. Take condition of the machine cosmetically into account too, even if it doesn't matter to you. I hate to nitpick but it's something visible that can be consciously observed, most non-sewers won't understand if the feed dogs don't feed or the motor is sluggish. Above all, don't hesitate or waffle. Make an offer and go with your gut.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 AM

Since it doesn't work properly, that is certainly more than I would be prepared to pay.
I did pay more than that for mine, but it was in excellent condition, carrying case also in excellent condition, all the attachments and the original manual were included. And only problem since was with the foot pedal - eventually needed cleaned and adjusted - a simple fix with a screw driver.

Last edited by mom-6; 06-29-2013 at 06:29 AM.