Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
While researching Vintage Kitchens... >

While researching Vintage Kitchens...

While researching Vintage Kitchens...

Old 05-28-2014, 08:54 PM

I'm pretty certain that my parents had the very same linoleum as this kitchen http://antiquehomestyle.com/inside/k...lery/page8.htm The red ran when you would wash the floor. My mother was so happy when they replaced it.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Good eyes! I love the Art Deco period. I think the second kitchen with the huge sink is my favorite. My first house was built in 1946. When I remodeled it I kept the original cabinets in the kitchen and added to them. I also installed linoleum tiles and a sink with the built in drain boards that was more in keeping with the age of the house. The biggest mistake I made remodeling the house was I waited until I was ready to sell it so I didn't get to enjoy it long.
Rodney

I can relate to the moving after a remodel. I was single, "nesting" for my future ...then reunited with a former BF, got engaged and moved! I cried after selling my newly remodeled house, frankly did not want to leave it but....life goes on.

My theory? Remodel your house and expect to move....unexpectedy! LOL! Seems to happen to my friends each time!

oh, the farmhouse we live had the original farmhouse sink in the basement. I told my DH to list it on Ebay (i hate farmhouse sinks)....nah, he sold it for scrap. Whatever....

sandy
Old 05-29-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
Love the ironing board set into the wall.
We had an ironing board in our 1950 kitchen when I was a kid. It was totally practical and my mom and older sister just loved it. Later, when I was a real estate agent and touring a very expensive and glamorous home, the owner proudly showed off her fold-down ironing board in the wall of her 1000 sf master bedroom. Somehow, it didn't seem so appropriate, or practical there. (Why isn't it in the maid's quarters, or laundry building?) LOL...to each their own.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I there is a site called retro renovation - lots of info on the 1950s houses.
This one has a pink sewing table: http://antiquehomestyle.com/inside/k...lery/page7.htm
Thanks for that site mention, Miriam. I'll check that one out. I'm finally getting to the point of putting in our, "real kitchen," in the house that we've been building for the last couple of years. I'm having a terrible time finding the right appliances, (sewing machines aside...of course.) I have a 1950 O'Keefe and Merritt stove, which will stay, but a dishwasher and refrigerator have me searching and searching. They are all modern, stainless steel models and I want to either find something old fashioned, or hide them completely. When I find a good possibility, there's always some quirky thing that won't work with plan. And no...I'm not paying $13k for a fridge.

Ahhh....thank for letting me vent a little. I've been hunting down appliances all week. It's truly mind boggling.

~ Cindy
Old 05-29-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
My mom "collects" Sears houses. That's one of the best websites for information.
OK, that one requires further explanation. Doe he buy the Sears kit houses, already built?
~ C
Old 05-29-2014, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I like the storage area for the machine
Old 05-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Thanks for that site mention, Miriam. I'll check that one out. I'm finally getting to the point of putting in our, "real kitchen," in the house that we've been building for the last couple of years. I'm having a terrible time finding the right appliances, (sewing machines aside...of course.) I have a 1950 O'Keefe and Merritt stove, which will stay, but a dishwasher and refrigerator have me searching and searching. They are all modern, stainless steel models and I want to either find something old fashioned, or hide them completely. When I find a good possibility, there's always some quirky thing that won't work with plan. And no...I'm not paying $13k for a fridge.

Ahhh....thank for letting me vent a little. I've been hunting down appliances all week. It's truly mind boggling.

~ Cindy
The first time I saw that site I was on it for HOURS. They have a lot of resources like you are looking for. I have an old 1950s kitchen to decide what to do with. It needs the metal cabinets refinished at the least. Then the appliances. I'm sort of between that and doing it up commercial.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:46 PM

"Commercial," as in restaurant stove and fridge? I had a Viking range in my last home and I loved it. However, a good friend asked me (after I kept drooling over it,) if I would like her 1950 O'Keefe and Merritt stove...complete with the griddle in the middle. My mom had one just like it...along with that ironing board. I just couldn't say no. However, my new house's theme is supposed to be, "1918 loggers' camp cabin, with timely updates." The O&M stove sort of fits in, but I really don't want to go totally, "nifty fifties." I'm considering building an icebox refrigerator that looks like a large, camp, icebox from the 1920s. I may be biting off more than I can chew.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:18 AM

An 301 ?? Awesome !
Old 05-31-2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
OK, that one requires further explanation. Doe he buy the Sears kit houses, already built?
~ C
Ha! No. She drives neighborhoods (usually of the appropriate time period of building) looking at the styles. She knows a lot of the models by sight at this point (like we can do with Singers) if not there are catalogs for reference. There is picture taking and a database she and other Sears collectors are building.

Our girls days involve hitting thrift stores looking for sewing machines and then driving the nearby neighborhoods looking for Sears houses.

It all started because my parents bought a house that turned out to be a Sears house. It snowballed from there.