White 77MG Cleanup

Old 11-23-2013, 06:52 PM

Default White 77MG Cleanup

I recently bought a White 77MG that I promised I would post some pics of when I cleaned it up. I cleaned it last weekend and am just now getting around to posting it. Out of the 4 machines I've had my hands on this one has been the dirtiest so far. It was covered with lint and dust inside and out.
I'm still figuring out posting pictures here so please be patient.
Picture 1 is the machine and the attachments it came with. If you look close you can see the grime on the machine.
Picture 2 is the case in as-found condition. Not bad shape. All it needed was careful straightening of 1 latch that was bent, scrubbing the latches and hinges with sewing machine oil and 0000 steel wool to remove most of the rust and a good wiping down with a little more sewing machine oil.
Picture 3 is the bottom of the machine as found. The white stuff is corroded magnesium "blooms" on the machine.
Pictures 4 and 5 are more corrosion.
A gentle scrubbing with more 0000 steel wool soaked in machine oil did a great job of removing the corrosion with no real harm to the crinkle paint finish. Go light if you try it. It will scratch shiny paint and clear coats and does remove some paint in the process.
Picture 6 shows the underside front of the machine. the painted areas are scrubbed down and there is a huge ball of lint that was packed in tight behind the bobbin area. It could be one of the reasons why the machine ended up in Goodwill.
Picture 7 is just the base the machine sits in. It was full of dust and lint like the rest of the machine.
I kind of messed up. I thought I had more pictures. I don't. I also gave the machine to a very good friend of ours today so there won't be any more pictures of it. She stopped by and mentioned that her more modern machine wasn't working and expressed an interest in getting an older, simpler machine so it left with her.
All this machine needed was a good cleaning and oiling and the rubber drive wheel sanded down a bit. The wheel had developed a flat spot from sitting and was too smooth to grip the machine's hand wheel properly. All I did was pull the motor away from the machine and hold some 120 grit sandpaper against the rubber with the motor running to get rid of the flat spot and freshen up the drive surface. The drive wheel may need replaced at some point. I think the rubber has hardened a bit with age as it still sometimes slips on startup. Other than that once it's going the machine sews beautifully.
My apologies for not getting any good "after" pictures but I know the machine is off to a good home where it will get some use.
Rodney
Old 11-23-2013, 08:16 PM

No photos...
Old 11-24-2013, 06:56 AM

Where are the pictures?????