Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
White Featherweight question.. >

White Featherweight question..

White Featherweight question..

Old 12-18-2014, 07:14 PM

Cool White Featherweight question..

I've had the "white" celery colored 1964 featherweight for a while, but thought I'd use it to start a quilt for the grand daughter who will get it eventually...Recleaned and oiled but My question is about the inside gears and whether they get oil or some machine grease?? This machine has an inside black belt that connects to bottom gears..my BLACK featherweights just have gears period. Not much info in the downloaded instruction book about this particular kind of gearing. What kind of maintenance should I do on this inside black belt setup?? Thanks for your input..
Old 12-18-2014, 07:59 PM

here's the service manual. I'll send you this because I don't know of an internal belt.

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...Service18.html
Old 12-18-2014, 08:27 PM

Yeah, the white machines have a belt where the older black machines had gears. Don't let oil or grease get on the belt.
From what I've read lube the rest of it normally.

Joe
Old 12-19-2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Yeah, the white machines have a belt where the older black machines had gears. Don't let oil or grease get on the belt.
From what I've read lube the rest of it normally.

Joe
Thanks Joe, that's the information I needed...didn't know whether to leave it alone or do some grease on it. I'm going to write that down in the manual I have for this machine, so I'll know it from now on.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by csharp View Post
I've had the "white" celery colored 1964 featherweight for a while, but thought I'd use it to start a quilt for the grand daughter who will get it eventually...Recleaned and oiled but My question is about the inside gears and whether they get oil or some machine grease?? This machine has an inside black belt that connects to bottom gears..my BLACK featherweights just have gears period. Not much info in the downloaded instruction book about this particular kind of gearing. What kind of maintenance should I do on this inside black belt setup?? Thanks for your input..
Do NOT EVER get any oil on the internal belt, it will ruin it over time. The bottom gears get the Singer grease and oil the other places that the manual says to.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Grease on the gears only. Just clear "sewing machine oil" on shafts, eccentrics and linkages.