Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
who scored the bagle rue d bac? Lost the post..n >

who scored the bagle rue d bac? Lost the post..n

who scored the bagle rue d bac? Lost the post..n

Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 PM

care to elucidate there Cathy?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
you paying shipping?
if they are old enough , YEP! hehe
Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 PM

I do hope it was well packed.
Sharon
Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I do hope it was well packed.
Sharon
The D. Bagle Rue Du Bac Sewing Machine was sufficiently packed but upon opening I found the evidence of powder worms. I posted my concerns on the current thread on the critters. I will take time later to assess how I'm going to handle it - probably dispose (burn) the platform and salvage the head for a custom platform. Darn!!! But, it'll be a while before I can get to it, so for now, I have no knowledge of what I have other than a problem. So, I'll report and post pictures at a later date, probably much later. Sure am disappointed in a couple things 1) not getting what I'd hoped for and 2) discouraged about sellers not disclosing major problems with items.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
care to elucidate there Cathy?
It just so happened that my DH and I had just passed through Columbia MO right after a rain storm. We got off for food - and experienced a general disregard for traffic signs - including close encounters with drivers ignoring the stop sign and cross walk both in and out of the grocery store. Saw at least three accidents, and after getting back on the Interstate - dealt with a bunch of people very much in a hurry to get from one end of town to the other via the interstate. We'd left Atlanta that Am - and drove through Chattanooga, Nashville and St. Louis - and ran into the worst drivers in Columbia LOL!!

After that - DH and I decided we'd plan so we didn't stop in Columbia again -
Old 05-01-2014, 06:35 AM

Ron, did you go back to seller to see about a partial refund? Anyway, sorry to hear about that.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
We'd left Atlanta that Am - and drove through Chattanooga, Nashville and St. Louis - and ran into the worst drivers in Columbia LOL!!

After that - DH and I decided we'd plan so we didn't stop in Columbia again -
Cathy - We have children who graduated from U of MO Columbia and grandchildren there often for various activities. As a matter of fact my Daughter and her Daughter are there today for MU cheerleading try-outs. Almost 20 years ago my wife said get me off this highway (I-70). We've avoided it like the plague since. It's as bad as Gary, IN. I-38/I-80 combination around Des Moines, IA, is almost as bad. I totally understand. St. Louis is usually no fun either. You must have been lucky at the time you went through.

Jim - Negotiating is not my suit. I avoid it. I will indicate the problem in a feedback, but, the picture definitely shows the wood damage, if one looks closely. I chalk it up to a bad experience and pay attention more the next transaction. I feel the head may be worth the price. We'll see. Thanks for your interest.

Last edited by Vridar; 05-01-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Ron- when we are making our trips to visit relatives in GA and FL, we try to time things so we're not dealing with the larger cities during rush hour. Having lived most our lives in the Twin Cities area, we've had enough of that for a lifetime already - but we are both very familiar with driving in heavy traffic.

We were "making a run for the border" and not taking our time like we usually do - and hit the east side of St. Louis around 3pm, so got through that before traffic picked up. So I guess we probably hit Columbia about time for their "rush hour" so to speak. Just surprised us both at the lack of attention to traffic signals that we encountered just getting up to Hy-Vee and then back to the interstate. But I had forgotten it's a college town, and sometimes that seems to make things a lot worse - and we were rather worn out by then too. Normally we stop south of St. Louis so we can head out early and be through before the morning rush, so we're still fresh by the time we encounter Columbia LOL!! And if you don't get off the interstate - it's not much to get through.

As to your machine - I'm more like you, and since the holes are visible, I'd also be less likely to complain, but I've also had good results contacting the seller about any issues before leaving feedback. I'm going to make sure I look extra hard at any wood cases I get going forward. Living in SD - wood eating insects aren't something I encounter a whole lot, and had not heard about powder worms before. One good thing about long cold winters, it does help kill off a lot of insects.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Living in SD - wood eating insects aren't something I encounter a whole lot, and had not heard about powder worms before. One good thing about long cold winters, it does help kill off a lot of insects.
We grew up in Iowa and I practiced mostly in the northern half of Iowa in my early years. We moved to Missouri in 1975 and encountered unfamiliar trees, slugs, termites, swarming aggressive bees, and who knows what else new to us. We studied the migration of termites and found they are moving north. Almost every property we've owned in Missouri has had an infestation (enjoying older homes may contribute to our chance of encounters).

I have emailed the seller through eBay telling them about my disappointment. After writing the "shipping powder worms to my home" I thought about the consequences. Shipping potentially destructive worms to an unsuspecting person is really almost criminal. We'll see what they reply with. I'm not giving up the machine. If they would like me to post a positive feedback....., well, I can't imagine how they can convince me to do that, short of total refund, and that is not my intention.

Nice talking with you.