Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Who uses an older metal Kenmore for FMQing? >

Who uses an older metal Kenmore for FMQing?

Who uses an older metal Kenmore for FMQing?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:55 PM

A beauty!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by LeeAnn
Do you have a darning foot? That might be the problem.
You may be right! I hadn't thought about that.. and there is a place on one dial that says "darn" too.

Thanks for the suggestion... you're a doll...
Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
OMgosh..I bought one just like this two years ago for an elderly neighbor..the reverse does not work, but I only paid $15.00 for it...she FMQ's on it all the time...

The NEW Kenmore quilting feet set works great on this machine! as do the prewound bobbins from Signature threads!

You should have a plastic plate to cover the feed dogs with!
Great!! Thanks for the tips... and it does have a cover plate for the feed dogs that fits perfectly..
Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I added this to the VSMS forum so it will get more views and also I think you have a beautiful machine!!

Billy
Thank you so much Billy... I think it's gorgeous, too!
Old 08-10-2011, 03:55 AM

I think when I FMQ with my Sears, I bought a "big foot" darning foot, since I didn't get a regular darning foot with the machine and that worked. Any of the quilting feet that you can buy should work. I know that Leah Day sells them for less than $10 which is cheap because I paid $25 eons ago for my big foot.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:53 AM

This is a machine I used for everything until last March when I bought a new Brother. Bought it new from Sears about 25 years ago and still runs fairly well. I never used the plate covering the feed dogs as it moved around too much. If you open the left cover where the thread is the large dial on the side should say DARN. That is all I did to FMQ and it seems to work pretty good. Watch the dial on the lower right for stitch length (6, 8, 12 etc.) Mine seems to move back to 6 as I'm sewing.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:54 AM

I have an old Kenmore but I have never used it to quilt. I wish I could! I'd love to learn. :)
Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey
This is a machine I used for everything until last March when I bought a new Brother. Bought it new from Sears about 25 years ago and still runs fairly well. I never used the plate covering the feed dogs as it moved around too much. If you open the left cover where the thread is the large dial on the side should say DARN. That is all I did to FMQ and it seems to work pretty good. Watch the dial on the lower right for stitch length (6, 8, 12 etc.) Mine seems to move back to 6 as I'm sewing.
Thanks for the tips.. I've got a large almost Big Foot on the machine now, and it's working great. Now I can see where I've been and where I'm going.. It's just practice, practice now...... and the plate that covers the feed dogs does stay put for me.. thank goodness!
Old 08-18-2011, 12:40 PM

since it came with the feed dog cover, I don't think there's a way to lower the feed dogs. That's the way my kenmore works too. I just loosened the pressure foot and used a plastic bobbin (less weight) I also added a flat bed table our build your own with styrofoam to keep the pressure off the quilt from working on the free arm. Look for a darning foot or a fmq foot. What a beauty! Can't believe how clean and white. Beautiful.