Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Why Do I Keep Rescuing Machines I Don't Need >

Why Do I Keep Rescuing Machines I Don't Need

Why Do I Keep Rescuing Machines I Don't Need

Old 05-27-2015, 06:56 AM

I disagree that collecting machines is worse than dumping them; assuming the collector takes reasonably good care of them they are at least being preserved.

Now if it's a situation where someone is buying perfectly good machines and putting them in a pile outside to rust and weather, then I agree that's a problem.

There isn't really a shortage of functional machines - I don't feel bad about buying something just because someone else might also want it or use it. Especially since I often deliberately pick machines with problems - they're the best deal AND they teach me the most.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:53 AM

A bit judgmental IMHO. I Do Not rush to buy them, but after 2 - 3 weeks on Craigslist or a posting they are going to the scrap yard or be turned into tables I Sometimes give up and give in. These aren't rust buckets or the too plentiful Singers. I still kick myself for passing up a Singer with lovely pheasant decals. After 2 1/2 weeks on Craigslist I emailed and it had just gone to the dump. Seriously- I'm Not sending a W & G to the dump!

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
You aren't necessarily rescuing them from the dump at all. Your unnecessary purchases my be keeping them from genuine buyers who would care for and use them. A sewing machine crypt in your home isn't much better than the dump in my opinion.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:21 AM

I get so much enjoyment from searching ebay and CL that the occasional sewing machine I can't resist is small payment. I agree with Steve that a good new home can be found if a bit of time and effort is spent though I wouldn't expect to profit from the experience unless rehoming a Featherweight or such.

Jon
Old 05-27-2015, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
You aren't necessarily rescuing them from the dump at all. Your unnecessary purchases my be keeping them from genuine buyers who would care for and use them. A sewing machine crypt in your home isn't much better than the dump in my opinion.
I completely disagree. These machines now exist in finite numbers, as all antiques do. Rescuing the machines that are still in existence is a labor of love and, more importantly, the preservation of historical significance. Once they are claimed by the dump, no one will ever see them again. Ever.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
I'm out of room and need to downsize.
Managed to wean myself off EBay last year. !
she asked, I answered. Conversations and opinions are the life blood of forums.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:36 AM

What ever it is, machine or dish or ?, hold it in your hand, look at it and say outloud......Does this enhance my life? If the answer is no or a lukewarm humphhhhh, get rid of it. Take it to Goodwill and let them deal with it.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:12 AM

I just did the same thing! I brought home a Pfaff 30 that runs. It need cleaning, lubed and a replacement power cord... My husband looked up and asked, "Which one goes to make room for this one?"... sigh but I only paid $8.50 for it...
Old 05-28-2015, 05:22 AM

$8.50?? I'd have brought that baby home, too!

I look at these things and I say, "It's fifteen bucks. Will I get fifteen bucks of enjoyment out of this machine?" If the answer is yes I buy it and don't worry too much about what I'm going to do with it. For fifteen bucks I can afford to give it away when I'm tired of it - I'll have gotten my money's worth out of it already.

If I can purchase, play with, and however temporarily own a nifty piece of machinery for less than the price of a movie ticket, I'm all over that.

I'd much rather be taking apart a dirty machine than watching most movies anyway.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

I would be willing to bet that most members of this forum have "enough" of just about everything to survive nicely.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:48 AM

I'm pretty good about not buying them on a whim - though I'm really bad at trying to talk DH out of a machine he wants to get mostly because it's cheap. He has delusions he'll fix them up and sell them - he may fix them up, but he really does not like the selling part.

The simple truth is there are way more machines than people interested in them. So no matter how many any of us buy, next week/next month there will be more on the market.

I figure, if we buy them, that gets others interested in cleaning out the closet or storage shed - and who knows if they may find a real rare gem! I've been heartbroken to learn that someone who didn't know one machine from another junked out (or made into a lamp) a truly rare machine, because they figured no one would want it.

The real problem is storage - because the people like us who do buy them are not all that common.