Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Why are my straight stitches slanted? >

Why are my straight stitches slanted?

Why are my straight stitches slanted?

Old 10-20-2014, 05:29 AM

I noticed the same thing on the Kenmore I recently got - it's straight stitch only but my stitches looked slanty. I put a ruler against them and they're actually straight, it's the thread that's got a bit of a twist going and creating an optical illusion. I'm still sewing with one of the wooden spools of thread it came with; I think maybe if I try some thinner thread (like Aurifil) that might be minimized. I haven't tried flipping the spool yet, either - I was thinking maybe it's got the twist of the thread going the wrong way.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:47 AM

For those of you thinking this is a dedicated straight stitch machine vs. zig-zag capable issue i took photos. I should have done that first!

First is the machine so you can see it is definitely a straight stitch only model. Secondly a sample (hurried off on a napkin) showing what I mean. The stitch line is perfectly straight but the stitches are just a bit slanted or perhaps twisted.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0184-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0185-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 AM

What a pretty machine, Christy. What is it, for ose of us not so good at identifying?

My FW stitches nicer than most (all?) of my other straight stitch macines, though I need to really test them out and compare. FW are known for their really "straight" straight stitches. How does your FW compare? And the 301s?
Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi View Post
What a pretty machine, Christy. What is it, for ose of us not so good at identifying?
This machine is unknown for sure. I picked it up in a thrift for 5.00 because it appealed to me but it has no good identifiers. In back underneath the motor it has a decal "Made in Italy" and it very strongly resembles a Necchi BC. It has similar elements to other machines in the Necchi family but nothing to identify it 100% as a true Necchi. For that reason I call it my Necchi clone. I have no idea what year it was produced either. It has a serial number, but I haven't had any luck finding out much about it.

My Featherweight produces straighter stitches and I don't have the 301 out to test right now. Ha~I KNOW it's the 301 you really want to know about though. heehee!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:38 AM

A lot has to do with the orientation of the bobbin and if it's full rotary or oscillating. Many quilters prefer the Singer 15 to the 201 as the 201 is full rotary and because of that puts an additional twist to the thread, which can result in a more pronounced slant. For seaming it's not a big deal, but one likes nice straight stitches for Quilting as they are visible.

it would be interesting to compare this to a VS machine, as I don't think the thread is twisted at all with that motion.

Last edited by Macybaby; 10-20-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:45 AM

Using exactly the same thread (top and bottom) and needle and fabric in each machine, do the stitches look better on one machine than the other?

That bobbin thread looks thick on my screen. If it is, it would create a large obstacle to wrap around, giving the look of a twist much more than a thin bobbin thread.
I.e a 60wt cotton top going around a 40wt cotton bobbin thread would look more twisted than a 50wt around a 50 wt - another good reason to match our threads.
(You knew I'd have a "discovery assignment, right? )

I can make a FW or 301 stitch "crooked" by doing the same thing. The stitches will line up with a ruler, but look twisted.

hmmm. Another blog post idea.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:48 AM

Christy,

Like others have said, it's a thread, needle, fabric type thing more than a machine thing. I have many machines and most will do this with some threads - fabrics and not with others. Other machines don't do it as much but sometimes they do.
I can't tell by the picture, but how is the bobbin set up on that cute little machine?

MacyBaby,

I thought they preferred the 15s cos they were vertical loading bobbins whereas the 201 is a horizontal system. This is the first I've heard of it being because of the oscillating vs rotary thing.

Joe
Old 10-20-2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
A lot has to do with the orientation of the bobbin and if it's full rotary or oscillating. Many quilters prefer the Singer 15 to the 201 as the 201 is full rotary and because of that puts an additional twist to the thread, which can result in a more pronounced slant. For seaming it's not a big deal, but one likes nice straight stitches for Quilting as they are visible.

it would be interesting to compare this to a VS machine, as I don't think the thread is twisted at all with that motion.
This makes the most sense to me. I checked this particular machine and it's a vertical oscillating bobbin.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:08 AM

I'm confused too, I could swear all of the "quilting machines" I've seen or stitched with are rotary. APQS, JUKI TL98, and even the Tin Lizzy is, I think. I only have one of those here ATM but I will go verify later. The first 2 make beautiful straight stitches, the 3rd needs more set up before I can judge it fairly but I don't recall a noticeable twist. One reason I don't love the oscillating is that it seems noisier than a rotary. That said, I was also completely unable to bond with my 115 which is a rotary and love my 15. I just know it's loud comparatively.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:26 AM

Tammi, I'm not sure about the thickness. Call me an idiot but I generally just grab a spool of thread and am happy if the color matches! I've only recently started noticing that some are cotton and some are polyester threads but have never really looked at the thickness. Some of the older spools I have don't even have the label stuck on anymore.

I've gotton so many spools of thread when picking up machines that I now try and sort what seems thicker to one area. Most of them all feel the same to me! If I get a lot of breakage with a thread I double check the bobbin, the needle and the guides for rough spots and if none are found the spool is considered too old and dumped in the trash.

Both the bobbin and the top threads on this machine read cotton/poly blends but I can't find where it states a thickness. ?? Should it say on the spool?