Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Why are my straight stitches slanted? >

Why are my straight stitches slanted?

Why are my straight stitches slanted?

Old 10-20-2014, 09:51 PM

Great links Tammi! I need to sort my thread by breakage. I have some really old spools of cheap stuff and run into it when I go to sew and it keeps falling apart. Now I have a way to sort it out in advance.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by monopas View Post
It might be a bad thing if you've become a thread snob before actually doing any sewing. *this is me looking down in shame*

Just because of Internet strangers, I threw out all of the C&C thread I had from odd hand mending or whatever, and have a special thread case full of good and very nice thread (gutterman, mettler, aurifil) that I'd only used to test machines until I pieced my first block for Ashlea's quilt. But the test runs do look so nice when done with purple and cream colored Aurifil...
I dumped a lot of thread too once I started sewing more. I kept some of grandma's old spools, but dumped what I thought would frustrate me.

Then you won't want to know how expensive Gutermann and Mettler really are. For the $$, I just buy the Aurifil and such.

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Great links Tammi! I need to sort my thread by breakage. I have some really old spools of cheap stuff and run into it when I go to sew and it keeps falling apart. Now I have a way to sort it out in advance.
Here's another reason to dump rotten thread: Even if it manages to run through the machine without breaking - if it's already compromised, it's not going to last long in the garment/quilt/etc. I spend too much time stitching to have to do it again every time I wash an item. If I wanted to do that, I'd still be buying my clothes at Costco (not too bitter about that last pair of pants... )

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-31-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: link is to own site
Old 10-21-2014, 02:58 PM

Yes, your cost/quality evaluation was one of things that had me chucking the C&C. I had forgotten that it was you! It was a big help when I decided to do things right and use good thread.

At least I got most of the many spools of gutterman (poly) on serious sale, but it works pretty well. It is a bit linty-er than Madiera, but it is thinner too. I said Mettler last night, I meant Madiera. Sulky bobbin thread is seriously linty, even more linty than Gutterman poly. I didn't buy Aurifil for a while because I hated to order it blind, but a LQS had some in a dark forest green that they'd discounted, so I tried it. And it really is very nice. Every machine I have makes pretty stitches with it.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:19 PM

Oh, well.... in that case, I apologise for being one of the ones who made you throw out thread.... sort of.
I still really want to do that comparison of the sewing abilities of the threads. I should see if I can organize a little sew-along to motivate me.

See, I find it weird that poly threads are so linty. My LA really hates the Gutermann poly. She pulls all sorts of lint off it and throws it everywhere and she will force me to change my tension several times in a single pass. Other polys I've run (Glide is poly and a mainstay with her) leave almost no lint ever and require no tension tweaks after the first one.

You're close enough to the border, I wonder if Tristan is a good source for you for Aurifil. I think they're changing their line to Genziana but they still have a fair bit of Aurifil to clear, and the Genziana is the same or a very very comparable product.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:46 AM

That is kind of tempting, but I'm two hours (in real driving time, theoretically only an hour) south of Seattle. So at least 5 hours from BC. And I just can't spend the money right now. Luckily, the good LQS sells Aurifil in lots of colors and it is always buy two or 3, get one free.

The linty nature of poly is odd, I agree. Gutterman is better than the Sulky bobbin thread (not saying much), but Madiera's Aerofil poly doesn't seem to throw much lint at all. The OSMG who repaired my mother's Pfaff 1222se (he had the power switch from a parts machine, and is much more honest than the other place in rown that sold it to her), sells it and recommends it for older machines, if you want to use a poly thread. It feel thicker, and is plied, so maybe that helps. Mom's Pfaff doesn't like Gutterman either, won't hold top or bottom tension very well with it, but it loves the Aurifil!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 AM

My favorite is Aurifil. What (or who) is LQS that has the Aurifil and "buy 2-3 and get one free?" I need that source!

Edited: I just thought, is "LQS" "Local Quilt Shop?"

Last edited by sdhaevrsi; 10-22-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Additional thought
Old 10-22-2014, 11:20 AM

That is kind of tempting, but I'm two hours (in real driving time, theoretically only an hour) south of Seattle. So at least 5 hours from BC. And I just can't spend the money right now. Luckily, the good LQS sells Aurifil in lots of colors and it is always buy two or 3, get one free.

The linty nature of poly is odd, I agree. Gutterman is better than the Sulky bobbin thread (not saying much), but Madiera's Aerofil poly doesn't seem to throw much lint at all. The OSMG who repaired my mother's Pfaff 1222se (he had the power switch from a parts machine, and is much more honest than the other place in rown that sold it to her), sells it and recommends it for older machines, if you want to use a poly thread. It feel thicker, and is plied, so maybe that helps. Mom's Pfaff doesn't like Gutterman either, won't hold top or bottom tension very well with it, but it loves the Aurifil!
The funny part about Gutermann to me is that I can run it in any machine I want - except Lucey. She forces me to change tension so much that it's not worth it and the cleanup...

Not worth it. That's less than one spool of thread and you should have seen the hook area!
Attached Thumbnails 10171007_10152021788496237_4391064462405311226_n.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-29-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: link requires sign up
Old 10-22-2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Or you could order the thread online after using their online (free) or actual physical thread card (this one costs roughly $30) ... The online one is fairly accurate IF your monitor is color corrected. If not, it's a ball park.

The funny part about Gutermann to me is that I can run it in any machine I want - except Lucey. She forces me to change tension so much that it's not worth it and the cleanup...

Not worth it. That's less than one spool of thread and you should have seen the hook area!
Wow. I can see that she doesn't like it. But she is a Precision Instrument, deserving of Respect! (and really nice thread)
Old 10-22-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi View Post
My favorite is Aurifil. What (or who) is LQS that has the Aurifil and "buy 2-3 and get one free?" I need that source!

Edited: I just thought, is "LQS" "Local Quilt Shop?"
Yes, LQS is a local quilt shop. They do sell some fabric online, but not thread. But if you are ever in Tumwater, I do suggest a stop at Ruby Street Quiltworks. They understand about just wanting to come in to be in a bright clean place with lots of pretty fabric, even when you can't buy anything that day.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:58 PM

Wow. I can see that she doesn't like it. But she is a Precision Instrument, deserving of Respect! (and really nice thread)
That's what she told me too. It was a one time thing where I wanted to use up some thread I didn't need anymore. I never tried it again because of the headaches she gave me. I use the Gutermann to piece and bind charity quilts that will be washed a lot now instead. It causes less bruises on my forehead and less forehead shaped dents in the walls.