Why you so noisy??

Old 10-16-2013, 03:57 PM

I'm not taking apart the new 201-3 I got today, the motor is super quiet and I dont' want to mess with it.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
I'm not taking apart the new 201-3 I got today, the motor is super quiet and I dont' want to mess with it.
Good idea!! I wouldn't either. Add a little motor grease and call it good.

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
I recognised it immediately. Yes it wedges between the two stator halves. I imagine it would have an effect on the noise level, since without it I imagine the stator will vibrate inside the casing. It fell out of my 201 motor the first time I disassembled it.
That's so funny that we've each had it happen. It's a terrible feeling too when you're sitting there looking at it thinking "What the,...." You're probably right. I put that little guy back in when I did the rest of the service (cleaned the commutator, degreased everything, etc) and I never did find out what quieted it down. It never did get as quiet as other motors, but it was quieter.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I'm wondering if it was lost in the debris of the packing material?

Next time you take one of these motors apart could you post a pic of where that piece goes?

Joe
That could be. As I recall, the extra noise could be called a howl. I wandered into the "shop" a few minutes ago, and realised that both of my 201-3s are no longer here. Oops. Just a 201-2 and a 15-90. Not the right motors. If I get another one, I will take a pic. Otherwise, Mike is right about where it goes.