wiring question

Old 05-31-2014, 11:32 PM

Default wiring question

I am working on a Kenmore and the wiring had a mess of tape and was dripping oil so had to be cleaned up and re-wired. The cords on the machine have 3 wires leading to the foot controller and the plug. Their is a grounded plug on the end of one cord and someone pulled that ground wire before it reached the terminal and had nowhere to go and they soldered it to the cord going into the foot controller. That wire attached to a screw on the foot piece.

My question is, ?? was this doing anything? Do I need to wire it in a similar fashion? I just want to double check to be safe. Honestly, I already went ahead and re-wired the thing in my normal way without this third wire. It works fine but now I am just wanting to double check.

Here is photo to better show what I mean. That green wire basically goes from the wall plug and then to the foot controller. It never even went into the machine.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0345-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 12:17 AM

Christy,

Take the foot controller off and toss the wiring in the trash. Save the plug to the machine though.
Then go to Sew-Classic and buy a new cord set. That looks to be house wire, not even extension cord. Kenmores, at least the ones I've had experience with use a two wire cord. That looks like a mess to me. I couldn't trust it.

Joe
Old 06-01-2014, 06:44 AM

It was a mess and not one I would trust either. I'm getting pretty good at re-wires as I have done a lot of them now. I grabbed up some new 18/2 and re-did it all from the terminal connection to the plug and the foot, but I did NOT use a third wire. I was just wondering if there was a reason that it would be necessary. Here's my work.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0350-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 08:10 AM

Christy,

There was no legit reason to use that household 3 wire cable. Who ever rewired it before just jury rigged it with what ever they had handy. Probably a household electrician, not someone who knows appliances.

You did a great job with you rewiring. Good on you.

Joe
Old 06-01-2014, 08:13 AM

Thank you Joe, both for the help, and the compliment! I am a beginner so its nice to hear I am on the right track.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:47 PM

Nice workmanship on your part! the difference is...caring enough to do it right. They may have had some issues around metal housings and no ground connection. But what they did, wouldn't necessarily solve any problems from neglected maintenance, since the ground didn't carry throught to the machine itself. Some one may have been getting a tingly barefoot before.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:52 PM

Thank you Jim. The wiring done and machine clean and wouldn't you know it, I find a malfunctioning, broken something inside that may be a deal breaker. I put that beast up until i can think some more and grabbed the "sister" Kenmore. Would you happen to know if they can take a standard needle (130/705)? Both machines have ruined needles and I want to give this one a test drive before I get too involved. The manual asks for a Kenmore 6021. *The good thing is this machine can use the same cord set that I've already done.