Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Wish I knew more

  1. #1
    Senior Member Grannyh67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Barling, Arkansas
    Posts
    733
    Blog Entries
    1

    Wish I knew more

    I wish I knew more about repairing my Singer Touch-Tronic 2001. I just got Her out of the shop and the bill was $128.00. WOW!!!! At these prices I can't keep them up and running. The feed dogs would not move. Took Her in and a broke gear was the problem. They changed all five gears and some other things. Gave me the old parts and the bill, lol. She sews great now much smoother than before. Now if She will just keep on keeping on I will be ok. Is there a manual out there somewhere I can get so I can repair Her myself. She is a great machine and I do want to keep Her sewing. I have lots of other machines to use but this one is the easiest to use. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I am so afraid of the bobbin winding part to go bad. The lady who gave Her to me which is My Aunt told me She was told a long time ago the bobbin assembly needed to be replaced. I have no problem with it as long as I use good bobbins. If they are worn it won't work. Thanks for any help, sorry this is so long.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,576
    That isn't a vintage machine, but any Singer with the plastic gears is going to give you trouble. You may get a few more years out of it, but beware. You'd be better off looking for a vintage Singer with all metal parts. They're easy to repair yourself, won't let you down and won't stick you with expensive repair bills.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Grannyh67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Barling, Arkansas
    Posts
    733
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have lots of vintage machines. This one just has meaning to me if why I have tried to keep it going. I understand the plastic gears. Thanks
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Grannyh67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Barling, Arkansas
    Posts
    733
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    That isn't a vintage machine, but any Singer with the plastic gears is going to give you trouble. You may get a few more years out of it, but beware. You'd be better off looking for a vintage Singer with all metal parts. They're easy to repair yourself, won't let you down and won't stick you with expensive repair bills.
    Candace, Im sorry, I should have addressed this issue on the singerslantneedle group. Which I have done so now. You are right it isn't a vintage machine, it has about 12 more years to be so. I have several old machines that have gears, some plastic and some not. I also have several vintage and antique machines. It is my hobby to collect some of the old machines. I just loved the way this one sews. But thanks for your advice.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Front row!
    Posts
    1,145
    I replaced a nylon gear in a 70s era Singer a couple years ago. It wasn't all that hard. I think if you take your time and pay attention as you take it apart (so you put it back together the right way) I think you can fix it. I'm glad he replaced all the gears for you, if one is weak no doubt the others might be.
    Warning! If someone comes to your door telling you they are from the government and they're checking to see how bad the ticks are in your area, and then tell you to take off your clothes and dance around so they can check for ticks.... DON'T DO IT!!! This is a scam! They just want to see you naked! I wish someone had told me this yesterday, I feel so stupid.
    http://www.quiltdasher.blogspot.com/...bel/long%20arm

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mechanicsville, IA
    Posts
    1,381
    That's what DH and I are enjoying the most...tinkering around with them ourselves. Is there like an actual online class where you can learn to do this?
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

  7. #7
    Senior Member Grannyh67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Barling, Arkansas
    Posts
    733
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
    I replaced a nylon gear in a 70s era Singer a couple years ago. It wasn't all that hard. I think if you take your time and pay attention as you take it apart (so you put it back together the right way) I think you can fix it. I'm glad he replaced all the gears for you, if one is weak no doubt the others might be.
    Christine, that is what my repairman said. He is a good man, knows what HE is doing. I just can't afford to pay to have them fixed. I did have this one fixed because it is dear to me. It sews so smooth now. I do tinker around with old machines, like cleaning them up and replacing parts but have never replaced a gear. I might bet brave next time. Thanks for your encouragement. I love this blog and have learned so much from so many people. I read it everyday, feel as if I know a lot of you. Its funny how we talk and learn from each other everyday and never have the chance to meet. Don't know what I would do with out the internet, lol. Thanks again.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Grannyh67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Barling, Arkansas
    Posts
    733
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    That's what DH and I are enjoying the most...tinkering around with them ourselves. Is there like an actual online class where you can learn to do this?
    I dont know but wish there was. We too like to tinker with them. I am willing to learn about any machine.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Front row!
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyh67 View Post
    I love this blog and have learned so much from so many people. I read it everyday, feel as if I know a lot of you. Its funny how we talk and learn from each other everyday and never have the chance to meet. Don't know what I would do with out the internet, lol. Thanks again.
    I agree! I've learned a lot from this board.
    Warning! If someone comes to your door telling you they are from the government and they're checking to see how bad the ticks are in your area, and then tell you to take off your clothes and dance around so they can check for ticks.... DON'T DO IT!!! This is a scam! They just want to see you naked! I wish someone had told me this yesterday, I feel so stupid.
    http://www.quiltdasher.blogspot.com/...bel/long%20arm

  10. #10
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    23,940
    I too have learned alot and still do. Good luck with your machines.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.