Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Wondering what Singer this is? >

Wondering what Singer this is?

Wondering what Singer this is?

Old 02-20-2015, 12:09 AM

Hi all,
Hubby and I stopped by a Salvation Army store to drop off some things, and of course I also had to take a gander..
Hubby actually spotted this machine before I did. I'm not looking to acquire any more machines, but this one is different than any I've seen.. curiosity got the best of me, so I took a few pics to post and get info from you vintage machine professionals. I did look up the number, and it appears to date from 1927, and I think it's a model 66, but that's all I found so far. I've never seen one with the triangular shaped decal like this one has on the front.
Here's the pics:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]510928[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]510929[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]510930[/ATTACH]

Thanks for any info,
Regards,
Kif
Attached Thumbnails img_20150219_195638.jpg   img_20150219_195657.jpg   img_20150219_195621.jpg  

Last edited by kiffie2413; 02-20-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:44 AM

Kif,

It is a model 66, that's for sure. As for the decals, I'm thinking it's a refurbished - repainted machine. The paint is rough looking and the decals don't look like Singer decals. And that blue motor doesn't look like a Singer motor either. Still if the price was right I'd buy it.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 02-20-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I'm not wild about the refurbs in general - some have more appeal than others. I do know if you want to do anything else with it - like treadle or HC you may have to use a side winder for bobbins - not always but more often than not. How ever the 66s in general are nice machines - a well used one is really nice. Look at all that harp space!!! If the price is right buy it, clean it up and beat it to death - I bet you can't - nobody else will have one like it.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:00 AM

I am starting to be drawn to machines like this, because I sort of want to paint one, but I'd have a really hard time convincing myself to paint one that was still original (even if beat and worn, maybe even *especially* if it's beat and worn as I'd feel like I was erasing history). This one...looks like someone has already gotten over that "hump" for me so I wouldn't feel bad repainting it. Kind of silly actually, I'd still be erasing part of the machine's history, but it just feels different in my head.

That detached foot is making me nervous though. SOMEONE PUT IT BACK ON BEFORE IT GETS LOST!! lol
Old 02-20-2015, 09:14 AM

Yeah, both the foot and needle clamp are off of it. Somebodies been messin with it.

Joe
Old 02-20-2015, 09:50 AM

I'm guessing it's a refurb too but the details have a sort of home made look about them, not like it came out of a shop specializing in refurbing old machines. The "Singer" on the front is definitely not original. The triangle decal almost looks hand painted too. If you want to custom paint one this is a good choice. You can't hurt it.

66s are nice machines. I never tried FMQ with mine but it did everything else very well.
Rodney
Old 02-20-2015, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the info, all.
I wasn't planning on purchasing it, but I was curious (nosey) about it, as I knew the decals were something I'd not seen before..even with my limited knowledge..
I told my hubby I knew where to post pics to find out about it...

I didn't even look at the price, as I wasn't even considering buying it...but hubby said they were asking $70. Too much, I would think.

I already have my great grandma's 66, in the original cabinet. It's a treadle that Ma also had an electric motor added to it.

Anyways, thanks for the info
Kif
Old 02-20-2015, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I am starting to be drawn to machines like this, because I sort of want to paint one, but I'd have a really hard time convincing myself to paint one that was still original (even if beat and worn, maybe even *especially* if it's beat and worn as I'd feel like I was erasing history). This one...looks like someone has already gotten over that "hump" for me so I wouldn't feel bad repainting it. Kind of silly actually, I'd still be erasing part of the machine's history, but it just feels different in my head.

That detached foot is making me nervous though. SOMEONE PUT IT BACK ON BEFORE IT GETS LOST!! lol
I have a refurb 66 that I picked up because I wanted the cabinet it was in. You're welcome to have the machine for free if you want to pick it up, but I don't know how far away you live. If you're interested, you can PM me.