Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Working on the 'frozen' Singer 201-2 >

Working on the 'frozen' Singer 201-2

Working on the 'frozen' Singer 201-2

Old 09-01-2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I have spent a week going from store to store in our little town trying to get some three in one sewing machine oil to start working on this monster. No such luck, none, negative, not gonna happen here. Even Walmart did not have any. While I was bemoaning this problem to the cashier at the local Bi-mart, and an older gentleman turned to me and said "What kind of oil do you need?" I told him sewing machine oil. He said that I could substitute 3 in 1 oil for guns, it is the same thing. Well I bought a spray can of gun oil, cleaner, and lubricant, with a spray nozzle and a narrow tube to attach for spraying into difficult areas. On Monday, my friend is coming over to work on it again, and I really need some of you experts to tell me if this stuff will work, or if I should keep looking.... The 201-2 is completely frozen, nothing on it moves. Thanks for any and all help.
Hi Madame Kelly, you need not worry, You did not hurt the machine. First get all the dirt out , thread, lint etc. , in
around under up and down. take some parts off around the feed dogs, carefully so you know how to put them back.
Then get some kerosene in a medicine dropper and put a few drops where you would normally oil, go by the book
if you have one. Always avoid getting kerosene or oil around any of the electric wiring. If you don't have a book,
roll the machine wheel manually toward you to see where the moving parts are, that's where you need the kerosene, and later the oil.
After the machine becomes looser as you roll the wheel manually towards you (always towards yourself) you can plug
the machine in and gently try the motor. It will start slow at first. After it gets going run , run, run and run some
more. Then use your fine machine oil , I use fine clipper oil myself, but any fine machine oil is o.k. Do all this
without the needle and bobbin in the machine. When you are finished running the machine at high speed, you can
put the bobbin in and needle and thread and watch that beautiful stitch appear.

Last edited by Ginger99; 09-01-2014 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-01-2014, 03:05 PM

Wow, you guys are amazing. Thank you all so much. I have one last question though, how do I remove the metal parts from the head to clean them, or do I need to? Another question, how do I remove the motor? I got the cover off, but can not see how to unmount it. Suggestions?
I'll bet no one will doubt your skill at repair after helping me, a brain injured novice get this silly thing running. Lol!
Old 09-01-2014, 03:11 PM

I would only strip it down as far as necessary. Take good clear pictures before you do and bag and label the parts you remove as you go along. It will make the job of putting things back together later much easier.
Rodney
Old 09-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Banned

? Another question, how do I remove the motor? I got the cover off, but can not see how to unmount it. Suggestions?
you have to remove the hand wheel first, then you'll see the two big screws for the motor.

Cari
Old 09-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Rain has a lot of info on his blog:
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/
Old 09-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Rain has a lot of info on his blog:
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/
Thank you Miriam.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:30 PM

I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject of the 201-2 and all the rust all over the black finish that is also really badly chipped and has many deep scratches in it. Now my next question. If I am not thrilled with it being in this condition, can I carefully tape it off as I would a car I was painting, and then can I paint this thing another color? (after lots of sanding to smooth it of course) I have been intrigued by the ones I have seen online that have been redone in designer colors. Do any of you know what kind of paint I would need? I was thinking auto paint? I have helped paint autos so I know all about that part if that is the right stuff.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:48 AM
Power Poster

I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject of the 201-2 and all the rust all over the black finish that is also really badly chipped and has many deep scratches in it. Now my next question. If I am not thrilled with it being in this condition, can I carefully tape it off as I would a car I was painting, and then can I paint this thing another color? (after lots of sanding to smooth it of course) I have been intrigued by the ones I have seen online that have been redone in designer colors. Do any of you know what kind of paint I would need? I was thinking auto paint? I have helped paint autos so I know all about that part if that is the right stuff.
You need to ask Grant.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 AM

madamekelly,

Here's a vid I found fascinating. He does excellent work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJBi1z_FohI
Old 09-02-2014, 09:11 AM

The prep work looks first class. That's basically what needs to happen if you want it to look good when you're done. There's a LOT of work in a good paint job. Just masking things off is never as good as removing everything first.

My connection is on the slow side. It started hanging up about 1/2 way thru so I didn't get to see the actually paint.
Rodney